Post by labeshops » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:09 pm

I'm trying to wrap my head around v3 by using a test installation of it and am a bit confused by how to create mods these days. Since vqmod is no longer used and so much has been moved to the admin letting you modify templates and languages etc without having to go to the site files via ftp, how to do modify model or controller files? Is this also done from the backend?? I am used to going into ftp to add extra fields I wanted, etc, and trying to figure out if there is now a cleaner way to do that but haven't found any info.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:14 am

You have several built-in ways to modify core files in OpenCart 3.x:
  • OCmod
  • event handlers
  • theme editor (for twig template files only, will cause OCmod-based changes to templates to be ignored)
You can also install and use VQmod (either Integrated VQmod, or Qphoria's VQmod). Or the Override Engine which allows class extensions with overridden methods.

Make your choice :)

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by IP_CAM » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:27 am

I'm trying to wrap my head around v3 ...

poor fellow, I feel so sorry with you ... :laugh:

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by thekrotek » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:49 am

IP_CAM wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:27 am
poor fellow, I feel so sorry with you ... :laugh:
Pity me as well. Just installed this... software piece and looking for all the changes. As usual, everything is reworked, folders changed, zero compatibility, nothing useful besides stupid Marketplace, where you can find the incredible number of 3 extensions. My favorite part: "token" changed to "user_token". Wow. Just wow! Can't even imagine, how we lived with that "token" atrocity before!

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by IP_CAM » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:59 am

Well, what do you expect, when it comes to Mods? Especially under the Aspect, that
Mod-Buyers probably believe, to have a right, to always get latest Upgrades for free, after
they once bought an Extension for some intermediate Version?! It's just not much fun anymore,
after a while, to repeatetly do the same, for free, just for keep someone else's 'Project' alive and
well.

But not even the Upgrade Info Page in the official Doc's is of any use, since changing from 1.5.x
to 2.x, in contrary, it's a Masterpiece of advise, on how to kill a working software. And 'such' may
discourage some, to longer invest much time and knowledge, without a real perspective, and fully
unaware of, how this all is going to turn out.

This, in addition to the Fear, that the Project is slowly moving on, but in a different, new direction,
and so possibly not even leaving Room anymore for many of those, beeing part of it in the past.

The Web is a fast moving Envirorment, and there is no time to waste, if one wants to stay atop.
But this gets expensive, after a while, because 'HAM-Spirit', as we called it in the Amateur-Radio
Scene, is not an enduring 'habit', especially, when the 'Feeling' spreads, that those, once adding
to success, are just ignored, when it comes to also have 'open Ears' for some important Feedback.

But I don't want to sound critical, it more a hobby-type habit to 'analyze' Situations, from my
very personal point of view, and after beeing around in Places, for a while. But I can afford it also,
because, at 71+, I get my monthly Pension, so, I don't have to sell Mod's, to keep alive and well
So, I may be dead tomorrow, or then just gone, but who would care about. But what the Heck, I've
had it, and enjoyed most every Sequence of it ... :D

And it's really just my Hobby, to keep Mister Alzheimer out, still, beeing (successful) in Business for
Decades, I've learned, to also take critics always in a positive way, and never 'personal' either,
and I just hope and pray, that it will be understud the same way. And since I learned my english on
'the street' only, kind of, it may sound undiplomatic as well, once in a while...

Many here just try to help others, out of plain 'HAM-Spirit' I assume, but for this, they need some
'working' Basics, but sure not the Feeling, to just be a bunch of more or less useful Idiots,
but sure unworthy, to listen to.

Good Luck ! ;)
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by thekrotek » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:56 am

IP_CAM wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:59 am
But not even the Upgrade Info Page in the official Doc's is of any use, since changing from 1.5.x
to 2.x, in contrary, it's a Masterpiece of advise, on how to kill a working software. And 'such' may
discourage some, to longer invest much time and knowledge, without a real perspective, and fully
unaware of, how this all is going to turn out.

This, in addition to the Fear, that the Project is slowly moving on, but in a different, new direction,
and so possibly not even leaving Room anymore for many of those, beeing part of it in the past.
This is what you get, when Open Source project, which should be community driven, is actually driven by a single guy, who listens to no one. I know very good, what I'm talking about, since I'm familiar with four different frameworks: OpenCart, Joomla, WordPress and IPS CS. OpenCart is absolute winner in Worse Backward Compatibility, Worse Stability and Worse Framework Support categories. Joomla compared to OpenCart is like Lamborghini compared to Noname Pakistani car manufacturer.

A few years ago I liked OpenCart very much for its simplicity. It was very easy to get into it and understand, how it works. Joomla and WordPress still gives me hard times, despite that I started developing for Joomla a few years before OC. But now OpenCart turned into complete nonsense. If it won't be fixed in the next year, I'm afraid I'm gonna skip 3.0 development, because it's absolutely unbearable. A bunch of releases already out and you can't actually use OpenCart due to tons of bugs in core functionality.

A lot of developers already leaving OC scene, others increase prices on their extensions and this is just the beginning. Doesn't look good to me either.

Expert Member

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:47 am

Actually, it's not too bad, bit more complicated, yes, but no major changes. Personally I am using our Template Switcher or the Override Engine, and this makes porting OC 2.x extensions and web themes to the new OC 3.0.x a fairly easy job!

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by thekrotek » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:08 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:47 am
Actually, it's not too bad, bit more complicated, yes, but no major changes. Personally I am using our Template Switcher or the Override Engine, and this makes porting OC 2.x extensions and web themes to the new OC 3.0.x a fairly easy job!
The major change is stupid cache, which turns development into hell. For me putting XML-files to system doesn't work anymore - the only way is to zip them and install. But installation and modification log are cached and in 5 minutes I become super pissed. So no, thank you, I'll wait while it becomes more or less usable, because these caching issues will make my customer-developer relations a non-stop headache.

I can also install your Integrated VQMod and return to good old development, but maybe later :-)

Expert Member

Post by cyclops12 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:13 am

Hey thekrotek, someone posted the other day that in 3.0.2.0 you can turn the cache off in admin
In the dashboard page on the right hand side there is a little blue cog, just under the logout button.
Might help :)

Expert Member

Post by thekrotek » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:33 am

cyclops12 wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:13 am
Hey thekrotek, someone posted the other day that in 3.0.2.0 you can turn the cache off in admin
In the dashboard page on the right hand side there is a little blue cog, just under the logout button.
Might help :)
Soooo... setting template_cache to false in config wasn't enough? I also have to click the cog icon? Wow... just wow.

Thanx for the tip anyway, brother :-)

Expert Member

Guru Member