Post by donmck » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:54 am

"Login with PayPal" V2.1.0.2 and V2.2.0.0

Hi All,

I am trying to determine if I have a bug or not, but not getting answers unfortunately.

Surely, the first thing you have to do is find out if you are the only one with with problem, or if others have it, before it can be reported as a bug.

I can't "Login with PayPal" V2.1.0.2 and V2.2.0.0.
I have documented my findings at:
http://www.dontronics.com/login-with-paypal.htm

I started off with the bug on V2.1.0.2 and was advised to try the latest version, as it may be fixed. So I tried that, and the results are the same.

My questions is, does anyone have these versions running with the "Login with PayPal" feature?
If not, then I'll report it as a bug.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers Don...

PS
And for people that tell me I am in the wrong forum, then please tell me where I am allowed to discuss this problem, before I report it as a bug.
Last edited by donmck on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

New member

Posts

Joined
Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:52 am

Post by Burt65 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi Don

I just finish reading your other posts in New and Announcement and your report page on your site and while I'm in Australia unfortunately I don't use the Module Login with Paypal.

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to use this module? It may sound silly, but I don't really see any advantages in this login system... Would you mind to elaborate a bit in why the need for it?

Cheers

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm
Location - Oz

Post by labeshops » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:55 pm

It is a matter of convenience for customers. Instead of their having to create another login at a site, remember the login info and password, they can use a login they already have and know. Reduces friction for customers to encourage them to create an account on your store which is an aid to getting repeat sales.

Running Opencart v2.2 with multi-stores from http://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Image


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:41 am
Location - Florida, USA

Post by straightlight » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:01 pm

I don't really see any advantages in this login system
Hi Burt65,

if I may ask, would there be any reason to include this in the core as a module if there is no purpose . advantage on using it?

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming.

Regards,
Straightlight


Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON

Post by donmck » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:21 pm

Thanks guys,

"Login with Paypal" means that the customers details come from the customers PayPal account, instead of the customer filling out these details on your cart. So it just needs the PayPal username and password, and nothing else.

Unfortunately no one seems to know if it works or not on Versions 2.1.0.2 or V2.2.0.0, the latest two versions.

I have just migrated from an old x-cart to Opencart, and it is one feature that is sadly missing on my new Opencart.

Cheers Don...

New member

Posts

Joined
Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:52 am

Post by straightlight » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:42 pm

One way to find out is to try it out and if you do encounter error messages from PayPal login, simply post it.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming.

Regards,
Straightlight


Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON

Post by donmck » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:14 am

Yes, I have done all of that, see:
http://www.dontronics.com/login-with-paypal.htm

Cheers Don...

New member

Posts

Joined
Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:52 am

Post by Burt65 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:35 am

donmck wrote:Thanks guys,

"Login with Paypal" means that the customers details come from the customers PayPal account, instead of the customer filling out these details on your cart. So it just needs the PayPal username and password, and nothing else.

Unfortunately no one seems to know if it works or not on Versions 2.1.0.2 or V2.2.0.0, the latest two versions.

I have just migrated from an old x-cart to Opencart, and it is one feature that is sadly missing on my new Opencart.

Cheers Don...
I understood. So can we say that it works like login with Facebook or all the other similar social login? The reason why I was asking this is because if you are setting this up purely for a customer convenience, I thought that maybe there is a more popular one that will cover a broader range of customer. If the Paypal doesn't work in either 2.1.0.2 and now in 2.2.x, and as you can see, not many people are using it, judging by the number of reply, maybe try one that is more popular... I guess for our Country, Facebook maybe it worth a look. I can see however the convenience you were after, as most of us only take Paypal payments...

Maybe someone here with good knowledge on Paypal is willing to take a look at this situation and see what the problem is???

Cheers

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm
Location - Oz

Post by Burt65 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:40 am

labeshops wrote:It is a matter of convenience for customers. Instead of their having to create another login at a site, remember the login info and password, they can use a login they already have and know. Reduces friction for customers to encourage them to create an account on your store which is an aid to getting repeat sales.
That's what I thought. Reason for asking was to ascertain that this login does work like all the other social login as I never used or worked on this module...

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm
Location - Oz

Post by Burt65 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:46 am

straightlight wrote:
I don't really see any advantages in this login system
Hi Burt65,

if I may ask, would there be any reason to include this in the core as a module if there is no purpose . advantage on using it?
What I meant was the advantage of using Paypal login over other more popular social login available...
I never mentioned the word "purpose" in my post. Purpose / Advantage are not even remotely related.

Cheers

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm
Location - Oz

Post by Burt65 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:25 am

Don

I just setup the Login with Paypal on my store and the result is the same as yours.
paypal error.JPG

paypal error.JPG (21.75 KiB) Viewed 2094 times

Now the only thing I'm not sure is that Paypal did stipulate that it can take up to three hours for the new App to be confirmed.

I'll try again soon...

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm
Location - Oz

Post by donmck » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:30 am

Burt65 wrote:Don

I just setup the Login with Paypal on my store and the result is the same as yours.
paypal error.JPG
Now the only thing I'm not sure is that Paypal did stipulate that it can take up to three hours for the new App to be confirmed.

I'll try again soon...
If you change the URL at your developer account to a dummy URL, the error will change to a URL error, which means PayPal is reading the URL in your admin settings.

I waited many 3 hours, but it never made any difference.

Cheers Don...

New member

Posts

Joined
Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:52 am

Post by Burt65 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:22 am

Hi Don

While browsing around I at least found out that Opencart is not the only e-commerce not able to use Log In with Paypal, (just a simple Google search).

But while I'm looking for a solution, have you had the chance to look at this free extension...

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... n_id=24825

It may get you there following a different path...

Cheers

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm
Location - Oz

Post by donmck » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:29 am

Burt65 wrote:Hi Don

While browsing around I at least found out that Opencart is not the only e-commerce not able to use Log In with Paypal, (just a simple Google search).

But while I'm looking for a solution, have you had the chance to look at this free extension...

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... n_id=24825

It may get you there following a different path...

Cheers
Thanks, I have had a look at a few of these alternatives. I think the real problem is that many of them don't record full name and address details as required by a shopping cart. I'll have a better look at this one shortly, as I do actually have one of our members looking at my site right now in an attempt to fix my problem, so I am chatting with him.

Cheers Don...

New member

Posts

Joined
Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:52 am

Post by straightlight » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:38 am

donmck wrote:
Burt65 wrote:Hi Don

While browsing around I at least found out that Opencart is not the only e-commerce not able to use Log In with Paypal, (just a simple Google search).

But while I'm looking for a solution, have you had the chance to look at this free extension...

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... n_id=24825

It may get you there following a different path...

Cheers
Thanks, I have had a look at a few of these alternatives. I think the real problem is that many of them don't record full name and address details as required by a shopping cart. I'll have a better look at this one shortly, as I do actually have one of our members looking at my site right now in an attempt to fix my problem, so I am chatting with him.

Cheers Don...
That is correct. The openid requires an email profile which, so far, I don't seem to notice on the pp_login model file.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming.

Regards,
Straightlight


Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON

Post by Burt65 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:46 am

Hi Don

After few changes on the Paypal Developer site...

I get this in sandbox
paypallogin1.JPG

paypallogin1.JPG (37.26 KiB) Viewed 2078 times

and after changing to Sandbox mode off we get here
Paypallogin2.JPG

Paypallogin2.JPG (91.28 KiB) Viewed 2078 times

I guess it does help that I was able to find some old info on this issue

https://github.com/opencart/opencart/wi ... ith-PayPal

The trick is to fill both sandbox and life settings identical and most importantly to match the scopes as required in both. Then obviously you must use the ID and secret from the live setting. I just test them both to be sure they where working...

I hope this fixes your PayPal Login problems...

Cheers

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm
Location - Oz

Post by donmck » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:55 am

Thank you, could be a good lead there, I have to vanish because of family commitments shortly, but I'll check it in detail when I return.

What Version are you using?

Cheers Don...

New member

Posts

Joined
Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:52 am

Post by Burt65 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:57 am

donmck wrote:Thank you, could be a good lead there, I have to vanish because of family commitments shortly, but I'll check it in detail when I return.

What Version are you using?

Cheers Don...
OC 2.1.0.2 and Journal 2

Let me know if it doesn't work for you...

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:23 pm
Location - Oz

Post by donmck » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:14 am

Burt65 wrote:
donmck wrote:Thank you, could be a good lead there, I have to vanish because of family commitments shortly, but I'll check it in detail when I return.

What Version are you using?

Cheers Don...
OC 2.1.0.2 and Journal 2

Let me know if it doesn't work for you...
OK Burt65, that is exactly what I am using

Cheers Don...

New member

Posts

Joined
Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:52 am

Post by donmck » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:32 pm

donmck wrote:
Burt65 wrote:
donmck wrote:Thank you, could be a good lead there, I have to vanish because of family commitments shortly, but I'll check it in detail when I return.

What Version are you using?

Cheers Don...
OC 2.1.0.2 and Journal 2

Let me know if it doesn't work for you...
OK Burt65, that is exactly what I am using

Cheers Don...
What do you mean fill out sandbox, and live identical Burt65?

The app doesn't allow you to edit these two fields to be identical, as you have one set for sandbox, and one for Live.

I went around in circles again, and didn't get any further. Thanks for the info however.
these are the features I have set:
http://prntscr.com/be5jyn

I'll re-read it through a few times, and see if I can interpret it differently to what I have been doing.

Cheers Don...

New member

Posts

Joined
Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:52 am
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests