Post by escrocu » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:16 pm

Hello fellow Opencart users,

I am new to opencart. I use version 2.0.2.0 with a custom theme (pav_wine from pavothemes). Let's say I have a category called Computers with 2 sub-categories named Laptops and Desktops. When I click the Computers category in the menu I am taken to its page which is blank. I want to see there the Laptops and Desktops categories in a thumbnail with their category image (just like you see the products). How can I do that?

Thank you

Post by cyclops12 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:41 am

Try searching the marketplace for subcategory images

Expert Member

Post by ZombieDude666 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:02 am

You'll need to create 3 categories in your admin. "Computers", "Laptops" & "Desktops". Then edit "Laptops", click the data tab and in the "Parent" section, put "Computers". Then do the same for "Desktops". You should now have Computers as your main category and Laptops/Desktops as your subcategory. You can also add an image for the 2 categories on the Data section if you scroll down.

Post by escrocu » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:38 am

ZombieDude666 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:02 am
You'll need to create 3 categories in your admin. "Computers", "Laptops" & "Desktops". Then edit "Laptops", click the data tab and in the "Parent" section, put "Computers". Then do the same for "Desktops". You should now have Computers as your main category and Laptops/Desktops as your subcategory. You can also add an image for the 2 categories on the Data section if you scroll down.
I know that much. And this is what I did. But if you click on Computers you are taken to an empty page (the page that holds the description field front the General tab of the category. I want to display the subcategories on columns with their image (like the products are displayed).

Post by IP_CAM » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:03 am

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:11 am

escrocu wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:38 am
ZombieDude666 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:02 am
I know that much. And this is what I did. But if you click on Computers you are taken to an empty page (the page that holds the description field front the General tab of the category. I want to display the subcategories on columns with their image (like the products are displayed).
Let's first make sure the issue isn't caused by your web theme. As long as you got images defined for your sub-categories via e.g. the admin backend category edit pages, the sub-category images should show up on the frontend main category page. Try it out with the default theme. If it works, then the issue is with the theme. If not, some minor changes are needed for the 'category.tpl'.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member