Post by mattys » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:12 pm

Version 2.0.3.1

For EU counties and UK GDPR deadline is quickly approaching, one of the stipulatons is that Newsletter subscribe default to No, or blank. with OC default is set to Yes.

I cant find an easy way to set to No, i saw some posts about changing a core account file, but no as each time i update i will overwrite.

Can anyone suggest a better way to change the default for newsletter sign up to No, or completely remove newsletter sign up altogether?

Help appreciated.

Post by OSWorX » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:47 pm

mattys wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:12 pm
Version 2.0.3.1

For EU counties and UK GDPR deadline is quickly approaching, one of the stipulatons is that Newsletter subscribe default to No, or blank. with OC default is set to Yes.

I cant find an easy way to set to No, i saw some posts about changing a core account file, but no as each time i update i will overwrite.

Can anyone suggest a better way to change the default for newsletter sign up to No, or completely remove newsletter sign up altogether?

Help appreciated.
Basically a 'pre check' of Newsletter Subscription is not allowed for all EU Countries since many years, not only since the GDPR!

And at OpenCart and the standard template, this checkbox is not 'pre' checked.
So - you have nothing to change.

On the other hand, I have seen many custom templates where those designer have pre checked that box.
If this is the case, do not worry about updates - change there what ever you want/need, these templates will never be updated - expect those devs will offer some (in the hope that they learn what Legal issues and punishments mean and how expensive those can be).

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by mattys » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:53 pm

yeah i thought this, just going through gdpr guidelines, not much different from the eu cookie compliance, very similar, just a load of hot air making some people panic - thanks for feedback, will see if has been changed via theme files, and not core files

Post by OSWorX » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:01 am

If you need to adopt the controller files (from the template because core files are not required to touch), easely create an OCMod for that.
Therefore if an update will be made, the changes should be applied again.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by mattys » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:09 am

was in a template file in /account/ so no problem, thanks for help and advice