Post by zedrally » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:14 am

I would like to offer a product using a link from a mailout, but the Product needs to be hidden and not available to the general public.
It needs to be available only if a customer follows the Product link. For example www.mysite.com/hiddenproduct
Can this be done?

Post by straightlight » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:20 am

It can be done by installing an extension, yes. This extension may technically provide what you need but it may require conversions for v2.x: https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... on_id=5130 . There might be other extensions as well available for this on the marketplace.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by zedrally » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:55 am

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately that is for a Customer Group, I need it for customers who have been emailed a special link.

Post by thekrotek » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:46 pm

The only way is to add custom functionality to your site. The task is quite specific and I doubt, there's an extension for that and every will be.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:45 pm

zedrally wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:55 am
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately that is for a Customer Group, I need it for customers who have been emailed a special link.
Customers are still related to customer groups upon each account registration. Each special links can still be used for customers among special / specific customer groups. It's only common sense and logic that needs to be used for such sale strategies. It can easily be done. Although, I'd first hide the products before looking for a way to unlock the products to those specific customer groups whenever the moment has to come over email by providing the specific link with an unlock feature.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Johnathan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:06 pm

If you don't assign your product to any categories or manufacturers, then it would only appear in the site search. You could prevent it from showing up by using Smart Search, which lets you enter product_ids to hide in the search results. Then it would only be accessible via the direct link, which people would only know if they were a newsletter subscriber. That would also give you a bunch of search improvements, so it may help your site in other ways, as well.

Feel free to take a look at the screenshots and demo site, and if you're interested let me know at www.getclearthinking.com/contact if you have any further questions.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by straightlight » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:23 pm

The only downside of looking by product IDs with the search when hiding products are the search engines to be able to retest those product IDs automatically once the results were found. Which is why, products over the internet should never been hidden. They should rather be announced but restricted based on customer groups but not hidden. Search engines would still be able to access those products but on a more restrictive level.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by zedrally » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:00 am

Thanks for the replies, some good food for thought although it becomes more complicated as many who will receive the link are not customers at that point of time but may become customers if they purchase the product.
The product is limited in supply and most probably sell out after 1 day with little to no chance of resupply, so I don't see any conflict with search engines looking for a product ID, so creating the product but not linking it to anything seems to a good idea although I'm not sure how you can get a link for this?

Post by Johnathan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:29 am

When creating it, just don't assign it to any categories or manufacturers (in the Links tab of the product data). The only place it would appear after that would be the search page. Unless you add it as a related product or something like that, there should be no actual URL to the product on your site, so Google wouldn't index it until someone visited it.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator