Post by xairflyer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:48 pm

Traffic to site is slow and I realised I dont have my seo urls turned on, trying to get it setup but I cant find the htaccess.txt file I have hidden file extensions turned on and have done a file search

Post by greymatters » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:37 pm

Hi,

In Cloud Hosting cPanel > File Manager i also cant see .htaccess file... when i tried to upload htaccess.txt and rename it as .htaccess error message "file already exist"

You need to connect via any FTP software, with FileZilla i can see and replace .htaccess file now.

Regards :)

( support@hostingmatters.in )

Post by MrPhil » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:03 pm

Many hosting control panels "helpfully" hide "hidden" files (those starting with a dot). It serves no purpose and is a leftover from early Unix OS days. Look around your control panel file manager for something to "unhide" or "show hidden files". And it's .htaccess, not .htaccess.txt, you're looking for.

Post by xairflyer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Yes as mentioned I have already ticked box for showing hidden files also dont use cpanel using my ftp program, the htaccess file seems to be missing.
If the .htaccess.txt file was already changed to .htaccess would it show?

Post by MrPhil » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:13 pm

You said you had uploaded .htaccess.txt (unnecessary, BTW, all FTP clients can directly upload .htaccess) and couldn't see it (or the apparently already-existing .htaccess). That means you're doing something wrong in your control panel's file manager, if you can't see either file (you still have "hide hidden files" turned on). Consult with your host's tech support if you can't find out how to see these files.

If nothing else, name your file on your PC as just .htaccess, and FTP it up (overwriting the existing one). Be careful that you're starting with the current .htaccess, as it may have already been modified.

Post by xairflyer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:55 pm

for some reason my htaccess.txt file was missing, anyway I guy on the opencart facebook page created a new one for me and everything is working correctly now

Thanks for the replies