Post by geosz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:29 am

i read some comments on their site suggesting my biggest concerns are a non issue.

I do like the concept of what it is trying to do but not sure about the impact on performance...

I'm not even sure that i will need to use it for an upcoming project but... does anyone have any comments to make about this product???

thanks

george

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:03 pm

Opinion in the wider programming community is divided on vQmod.

Its goals are:
  • Change how core code works in a separate file that isn't replaced in updates.
  • Allow changes to be added and removed easily.
  • Allow changes from different developers to work together as much as possible.
Alternatives include:
  • Overrides - you copy a core file and make your changes, which is how OC themes work. The problem with this is that only one override can happen at a time so you couldn't have multiple extensions.
  • Hooks - Prestashop uses this method, and the code includes "hooks" where you can change things. Unfortunately, if there isn't a hook where you need it, then you can't achieve what you're trying to do without modifying core code.
vQmod is great, a slight downside is that if you're doing a lot of changes then you do end up with a big complicated file that can be hard to understand, but it's not too bad if written well.

The other thing is that if 2 vQmods try and modify the same part of a core file then 1 of them will probably fail. I'm not really sure if you can blame vQmod for that though - if 2 developers want to modify the same thing, there's going to be an issue.

So overall, I think it's great, and it's the best method of achieving its goals that I've seen.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom