Post by amair » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:56 am

Hello Everyone.

I have an issue with how to handle shipping in our new Opencart 2.3 store. Having an eCommerce solution like this is new to us so I am trying to determine what options we have to use Opencart to the fullest. (By the way, so far I absolutely love Opencart and the community/developers)

We have some products that can be shipped by UPS or other small package carriers and then we have larger products that have to be shipped by LTL freight. In many cases the order is mixed with products that require LTL and UPS and in the past we have processed these manually. There are also other products that we send from the supplier directly to the customer and the supplier handles the shipping, charges us and we then charge the customer.

Although I do not want to display a message to the customer on the products that need to be shipped from the supplier or the LTL carrier that we will add the shipping once the product is shipped, I am not seeing any alternative. The problem here is I do not see any extensions that will allow us to place the message on specific products and have the shipping disabled just for that product but allow shipping to work as normal on small packages that go by UPS.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on how to handle this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
Last edited by amair on Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by amair » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:57 am

Thanks pipoy,
I have been looking into this extension but I cannot find where it will display a message to the user. Do you know if this is possible?

Post by pipoy » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:03 am

Hi,

Well this will automate your shipping to be disabled depending on the product as per your thread title.
Now for the message, you may have to get another extension for that. Just for giving a message to the customers in the product page
Check these out
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... a%20Design

Post by amair » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:08 am

Hi,

Thanks for the other suggestion. I have contacted the developer of this extension (Custom Shipping Method - Request a Shipping Quote) https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... a%20Design to see if they can modify it to work with selected products.

Post by Johnathan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:33 am

amair wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:57 am
Thanks pipoy,
I have been looking into this extension but I cannot find where it will display a message to the user. Do you know if this is possible?
Yes, Restrict Shipping Methods would work for this, though it won't display the message. You'd need to manually add that to the products' description, or use something like an HTML module to display the message on those particular pages. If you wanted something that can automatically display a banner for certain products that you create a group for, Ultimate Banners can do that. It uses the same rules system that Restrict Shipping Methods does, so you can create the same Product Groups for use in a banner as in the restriction.

Feel free to take a look at the screenshots and demo site, and if you're interested let me know at www.getclearthinking.com/contact if you have any further questions.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by amair » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:49 pm

Hi Johnathan, I will take a look at the extension and screenshots. This is a complicated shipping system, hopefully I can get a solution to work. Thanks for your help.