Post by er777 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:32 pm

I have successfully imported OC V 1.5.1.3 customers and address into OC 2.2. But there is no salt in the import and the admin sees 523 records but does not show any of them.

Any ideas on this? Do I have to generate a salt for every customer? If so, how do I do that?

Thank you!

Post by MarketInSG » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:18 pm

no, please don't generate salt for them unless you wish to reset all their password. Leave their password as it is, if I did not remember wrongly, OpenCart is backwards compatible with the old login hash, so it won't affect the customers

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by er777 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:02 am

The problem is that admin does not show the customers! They are in the database correctly, but no names show at all.

Does anybody have an idea why?

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by er777 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:55 am

Please don't try to market yourself here! If you have nothing to contribute, then don't respond.This is NOT a huge technical problem, I am sure.

Post by straightlight » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:00 am

While salted hash may result empty strings, depending from which PHP library a string may be generated with, a more common solution like most websites provides for account recovery process would be to add security questions into the customer's account at the very beginning of the store evolution before considering to import any accounts whenever an upgrade process needs to be done between platform versions in case that the password algorithm fails to recover either upon import or password reset process.

Failing to complete the security questions is not a technical issue. Although, completing the security questions with failed attempt to log back in would be. Security questions form helps to compare the results between the user and the generated algorithm to track which end is the problem.

This methodology also helps to hide the facts without alarm to customers that user accounts may be imported to other versions / databases that would require to actually reset the account by simply indicating that a new system has been implemented and that the Business cares to protect customers account privacy even further. Customers can simply fill out the new protection form and carry on to the login screen.

Unfortunately, this feature does not yet exist as part of the core of Opencart, at this time.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by straightlight » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:09 am

Another alternative would be to replace previous functions that enforces passwords over the current functions that Opencart v2+ uses before considering the move out in order to see if most users are still able to login into their account. I would, however, suggest to test this on a non-live store as well as making a backup before adding this process to your live store to ensure the flexibility of your store.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by MarketInSG » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:53 am

his main issue now is that customer list is not populating on his store, and he does not have the technical skills to debug the issue. He hopes someone may be able to help him through the forums for an issue specific to his store

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by jimmyhoffa » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:23 pm

The problem might be not in the salt, because old customers should be able to login to new OC, but in the customer_group table.

Check in you database, if the imported customer's

Code: Select all

customer_group_id
field matches the

Code: Select all

customer_group_id
that is in the customer_group table.
If there is no such index in the customer_group table, that is the reason why OC doesn't show you the customers in Admin, even though they have been successfuly imported :)