Post by skimottaret » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:11 am

I have had numerous problems with Fasthosts.co.uk with very slow response and Php time out errors using their windows 2008 servers. They suggested moving to their Linux servers but when I did this it caused my shop not to work. I am considering changing hosting over to Arvixe but am concerned that if I change to a linux server that I will have to redo my site.

Is the change to Linux easy or must a site be redone from scratch with a fresh install of OC?

Is Arvixe helpful for business web hosting and assist in moving domains over?

http://www.insideoutskiing.com is main html site and the OC shop 2.0.3.1 using Journal theme is at http://www.insideoutskiing.com/sales2/

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:24 am

It should be easy to use Linux for an OpenCart website. In fact, we do not recommend Windows as a server at all, certainly not for OpenCart.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by skimottaret » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:29 am

I started with Fasthosts using windows servers about 8 years ago and when implemented Opencart a few years ago didn't know that Linux was preferred. Trying to change to Linux with them didn't work so I am a little concerned that I will have to recreate the site.

Would changing the server to Linux require a new installation of OpenCart?

Post by Alex - A2Hosting » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:52 am

It shouldn't be difficult to migrate from Windows to Linux though it would be a manual migration (manually move the files, database and so on).

You can also reach out to our migrations department to get further details: migrations@arvixe.com.

HostDash - Blazing Fast OpenCart Hosting. Ranked 4th Best Host on Hostimony

Post by skimottaret » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:03 am

many thanks alex, I have had two weeks of finger pointing from Fasthosts and would like to move to your company. I sent and email request to your sales team sales@ about 12 hours ago. I will try the migration dept as you suggest but in the meantime would you know the answers to:
===========
hello I am currently using Fasthosts.co.uk for hosting and would like to move to a new provider

what version of php do you offer 5.x? (i need 5.4 min for the Journal theme which i use)
do you have a php file upload limit? ( this has caused issues reinstating backups with fast hosts)

can you provide assistance in transferring domains including registration ?

thanks
===========

Post by crispylettuce » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:47 am

skimottaret wrote:I have had numerous problems with Fasthosts.co.uk with very slow response and Php time out errors using their windows 2008 servers. They suggested moving to their Linux servers but when I did this it caused my shop not to work. I am considering changing hosting over to Arvixe but am concerned that if I change to a linux server that I will have to redo my site.

Is the change to Linux easy or must a site be redone from scratch with a fresh install of OC?

Is Arvixe helpful for business web hosting and assist in moving domains over?

http://www.insideoutskiing.com is main html site and the OC shop 2.0.3.1 using Journal theme is at http://www.insideoutskiing.com/sales2/

Not sure if you have made the move yet, but as a current Arvixe customer i would strongly advice against using Arvixe. I have used them for quite a few years, and the service is getting worse by the day.

They used to be good, and i would of happily recommended them to anyone. But they have gone downhill big time, almost since they were taken over last year to be honest.

I have had constant downtime, and been moved servers several times, and still experiencing the issues. Their "live support" is a complete joke at the moment. 4 times in last two weeks attempted to use it ,and i have given up trying(waited for 40min once before giving up)..

Dont usually moan or complain, but i just think the poor service is not up to scratch, and would let you know. Obviously if you have moved, hopefully they look after you better than i currently am being.

Post by skimottaret » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:49 pm

that isn't good to hear. I changed over to Arvixe and took up a on month subscription to their priority support and it was excellent. I had a few issues migrating over some complicated and they did a good job on handling these. So good that I let the priority support at 20 USD a month lapse but one small issue remained and took a week to clear on normal support channels. So far so good on hosting though everything working well and twice as quick as my old provider