Post by AntonVE » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:58 am

Goodday,

Short and fast explanation: (for fast knowing what and not the why :D)
I would like to have 2 separate menu's for categories on my website, one in the topmenu bar and one in the left column.
In one i would have categories 1-10 for example and in the next 11-16...(see further for the background info about this)
On the website i get this working by simple adding the left column and selecting what gets in top and what not.
But what goes in top als shows in left and i would like to disable the ones that go in the topmenu for being in the left menu also.
The second issue i have is that even tho i use a separate menu for top and left only one of these is shown in mobile version and i need to show both separate or in the worst case on above the other in the one dropdown.

The initial question:
Is there a way to show categories in only top, or only left?
Is there a way to show left and top menu's and separate menu's on the mobile version of the website? Or to get the top menu to show underneath the left menu in the same dropdown on the mobile version?

This might by either coding "myselfs"(although im not the best coder) or an extension that allows me to do so.

Background story: (the longer version with why i need this :D)
In my webshop running at 1.5.6 at that time, i created product specific information pages but instead of using information pages i used categories to do so.
I did this so i could link the products needed for the tutorial right into the information page for the ease of my customers.
So to make it even more clear... I have an tutorial about how to decorate glass and ceramics using decal paper.
The tutorial is writen in html at the top of the category description box some accompanied with images etc.
At the bottom of said tutorial i have the available products that can be used, or are used in the tutorial so that an customer after reading the tutorial can order exactly those products and don't have to go search around the website ending up order maybe the wrong products.

As some of my customers are blind beyond the nose and don't seem to look any further than they are used to, they don't seem to find the separate category with these tutorials besides the categories with products.
Which made me want to use the top menu to locate these tutorials and other information pages and put the product categories in the left menu.
I can show product categories only in the left menu by disabling the top menu function, but the information categories in the top menu i can't disable from showing in the left column menu.
Besides in the mobile version i only get one of these menu's to show in the page, even with the use of the javascript to show hidden left column menu in mobile.