Post by cruncan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:55 am

Im really lost. I need a step by step guide to installing open cart on my mac using mamp. PLEASE someone help. Be my hero. Ive tried searching the web for tutorials and videos but havnt found any that are useful. Thanks!

Post by Avvici » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:01 am

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by Calcite » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:30 pm

When you have finished installing MAMP you should see...
mampscrn.jpg

mampscrn.jpg (23.94 KiB) Viewed 11326 times

You can see your store database by clicking on the phpMyAdmin tab.

Some other tips/issues I have encountered.

1 Get Textwrangler, it's great for editing OC files.

2 One downside to the Mac OSX. If you drag and drop any updates or folders that contain additional or newer files your Mac will simply wipe the existing folder and install the upgrade files. Pretty bad news e.g. you have a folder named TEMPLATE/Common then every file there will be deleted and the contents of your uploaded Common file will be written to the folder. Not a problem with a live server as you can set ftp software to only upload newer files.

3 By default you can't see the .htaccess file in the Finder window but this Dashboard Widget makes it easy to toggle them on or off

http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboar ... files.html

Have fun ;)

UPDATE AND GOOD NEWS ON FILE COPYING

I have found a way to update local files!

Follow the info in this link

http://blog-en.mamp.info/2009/08/how-to ... -mamp.html

I had to use Cyberduck as Filezilla would not play properly, but now it takes a few seconds to update or add extensions/VqMod files instead of copying files one by one :)

Post by Johnathan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks for the blog post. I've used MAMP for a while, but for some reason I never thought about using an FTP program with local file sharing. Very helpful

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by Calcite » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:46 am

Yes I had overlooked it too.

Hopefully others will find the post that use a Mac and are stumped when first setting up OC.

Post by crispylettuce » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:18 am

How can i use this to test the running/setting up of two stores in one admin.

I have set up the first one, and have had a play around, and if im to use this i will need to set up a second store.
What do i set the second store URL name to on the second one????

Also slightly going of subject but, if i play around and want this to progress to going live, how would i do this??

Cheers

Post by Calcite » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:12 am

I seem to remember a post detailing how to set two stores up on a local server but can't find it at present.

As for going live as far as I remember it's a simple process

Upload the developed store - everything that is in the root directory /htdocs on my local Mac running MAMP.
Change any links in your files from your local URL "http://localhost:8888/***** to http://www.yoursite.com
Change config files on live site to point to http://www.yoursite.com

I strongly recommend the free Textwrangler program for all file work. As an example there is a multi file search facility in it which made changing the url in OC files easy. Just search for "localhost:8888" and replace with "www.yoursite.com"

I have found it invaluable for finding text in files that needs changed, i.e. I wanted to change the Text "Related Product" to "Other Customers viewed". Text Wrangler found the OC files that needed changed.

I am in the process of working on my live site after doing the above but it has become more complicated by my desire to upgrade to 1.5.4.1 and now finding I have to wait until my custom theme is upgraded by the developer :(
The most important thing of all - do not do any changes until you make a backup. I regularly back up MAMP folder complete with all the files, and also htdocs in between mamp backups.

Please read my instructions in this thread on copying files to the local server when "upgrading" on a mac to avoid wiping out your hard work ;)

Post by 2snAK » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:14 am

Hi!! This post was very helpful for me!!!!! Thank you!!!

I had one question though. I have connected my ipaddress to cyberduck...but I cannot see the opencart files. I can see the following folders: desktop, documents, downloads, library, movies, music, pictures and public.

But not MAMP. How can I update my opencart theme using this method?

Thank you for such an informative post!!! It helped me a lot!

I am looking forward to your reply.