Post by jdeleon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:30 pm

Hi all,

I'm having problems moving my website to a new domain. I've done some research on these forums for a solution, and I did these following steps based on my research:

1. Backed up my store files to my computer via FTP
2. Backed up the database with phpmyadmin
3. Created new database and assigned user and password
4. Moved the contents of the Upload folder OpenCart (1.4.9.1) installation to the new directory
5. Completed installation by going to my new domain
6. Imported sql file to new database
7. Restored all the files that I backed up with the exception of config.php and admin/config.php

After I did all these steps, my new site has the layout/theme that I want, but it does not show any of the products or modules from the old site. It just shows the default products from OpenCart such as Macbooks, mp3 players, etc. I have a feeling I may not have properly transferred the database? Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would greatly appreciate it :)

Post by justinv » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:57 pm

It sounds like you now have two databases - you could check this in phpmyadmin - the database that was created on the new server when you installed OpenCart there, and the one you imported from the backup from your old server.

You need to change something in one of those config files to point to the correct database, or empty the database and import your old database into it (rather than creating a new one).

I'd be happy to have a look for you if you're happy to give me access to your phpmyadmin via private messaging.

Hope this helps!

Documentation: OpenCart User Guide
Mods: Total Import PRO | CSV Import PRO | Ecom Tracking | Any Feed | Autosuggest | OpenCart CDN

Post by jdeleon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:23 pm

Thanks for the reply, Justin.

I re-tried everything and now I get this error on my site (replaced with xxxx):

Fatal error: Call to a member function get() on a non-object in /xxxxx/xxxxxx/public_html/xxxx/index.php on line 91

Anyone have any ideas?

Post by jdeleon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Line 91 is in red

// Error Handler
function error_handler($errno, $errstr, $errfile, $errline) {
global $config, $log;

switch ($errno) {
case E_NOTICE:
case E_USER_NOTICE:
$error = 'Notice';
break;
case E_WARNING:
case E_USER_WARNING:
$error = 'Warning';
break;
case E_ERROR:
case E_USER_ERROR:
$error = 'Fatal Error';
break;
default:
$error = 'Unknown';
break;
}

if ($config->get('config_error_display')) {
echo '<b>' . $error . '</b>: ' . $errstr . ' in <b>' . $errfile . '</b> on line <b>' . $errline . '</b>';
}

if ($config->get('config_error_log')) {
$log->write('PHP ' . $error . ': ' . $errstr . ' in ' . $errfile . ' on line ' . $errline);
}

return TRUE;
}

Post by fergie3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:52 am

justinv wrote:It sounds like you now have two databases - you could check this in phpmyadmin - the database that was created on the new server when you installed OpenCart there, and the one you imported from the backup from your old server.

You need to change something in one of those config files to point to the correct database, or empty the database and import your old database into it (rather than creating a new one).

I'd be happy to have a look for you if you're happy to give me access to your phpmyadmin via private messaging.

Hope this helps!
I want to move my site, OC 1.4.8, to HG, upgrade to 1.4.9.3 and then upload a new template. I have wasted too much time getting frustrated and would like to have you step me through the process. I would be willing to compensate you for your time. (email: heavenofinvention@bellsouth.net)

Post by fergie3 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:51 am

fergie3 wrote:
justinv wrote:It sounds like you now have two databases - you could check this in phpmyadmin - the database that was created on the new server when you installed OpenCart there, and the one you imported from the backup from your old server.

Hope this helps!
I want to move my site, OC 1.4.8, to HG, upgrade to 1.4.9.3 and then upload a new template. I have wasted too much time getting frustrated and would like to have you step me through the process. I would be willing to compensate you for your time. (email: heavenofinvention@bellsouth.net)
Meanwhile..until Justin comes around...perhaps someone can steer me straight through the following questions?

Per "Moving To another Hoster/Domain instructions" (http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... path=49_51)

When you want to move your store to a new hoster or domain you need to do the following:

A: On your old domain/hoster:

1.Backup your store files via FTP to your Pc.
2.Backup your database using phpMyAdmin to your Pc.

B: On your new hoster/domain:

1.Do a clean install of the same version of your version of Opencart.
2.Delete all the files of this clean install EXCEPT the yourdomain\config.php and yourdomain\admin\config.php
Why? I understand deleting all the files because you are going to replace them when you restore files from your backup. But why delete config.phps"? There is nothing in them.
3.Use phpMyAdmin to empty (not delete) the new created database. I attempted to empty the database, but there is nothing there to empty. There are no tables present.
4.Restore all the backup files made at A:1 EXCEPT the \config.php and \admin\config.php. Why? One might think that that you would want to restore the config.phps from your backup since they contain the information from your previous site that you might want to edit later? What process occurs whereby the config.phps actually gets code written to them?
5.Restore the backup of your database made at A: 2 using phpMyAdmin.
How exactly do I accomplish this? I did a full backup and now when I try to Restore, I get "Select Restore Type":

Home Directory
MySQL Database
Email Forwarders & Filters

Since I did a full install, one might think I needed to restore all of the above. So I began with Home Directory and I get
"Restore a Home Directory Backup", followed by a Browse window and and Upload button.
I navigate to where my unzipped and untarred full back files reside on my PC and just what am I supposed to pick? There's a ton of stuff to choose from...then I go through the same process for the remaining two categories
?
6.In your admin check: System -> Settings: Store URL:
Where? When you say "admin check"..are you refering to the OpenCart Admin interface at http://www.yourstore.com/admin...or somewhere inside cpanel? Has this been created already?7.Verify the correct rights on your store folders and files.
8.Test the new store setup.
How exactly do I do this?

I have been pulling my hair out for weeks trying to first get my store moved to godaddy...then cancelling with them when I realized they are not very OC friendly... and now trying to get it up on HG. And I still need to upgrade to 1.4.9.3 and upload my tricked out, nifty new template that I bought from Webmastuh over at OpenCarter.com.

If anyone can write an Re-host/Install/Upgrade OC/Upgrade template script, I will be first in line to buy it..until then can someone point me to the "For Noobs" version of the instructions, offer me a little "Just For Noobs" guidance, or...just shoot me and put me out of my misery? ???

I will make you a deal. If anyone can help get me set up and running in 48 hours or less, I will pull my old software technical writing skills out of retirement and provide some "Noob-proof" instructions for this forum that will seriously reduce the number of dumb installation-related questions from Noobs like me and let the rest of you SMEs (Subject Matter Experts) get on to the more interesting vagaries of OC. ;D

Post by i2Paq » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:06 pm

fergie3 wrote: Meanwhile..until Justin comes around...perhaps someone can steer me straight through the following questions?
2: yes you are going to replace your files BUT to make sure nothing stays behind we remove ALL the new files EXCEPT(!) \config.php and \admin\config.php.

3: You need the 2 NEW config.php files and NOT need the ones from your backup / old server as they will NOT work on your new server in most cases.

5: You first must empty the new database and then do an Import to import the sql file you created when making a backup of your old store.

6: Yes, your OpenCart admin

8: Your are yoking right? Can you see your storefront of your moved store? If yes, try to place an order, go to checkout, create an account. Test the Admin part as well.
I have been pulling my hair out for weeks
Maybe it is a little over your head, ask your new hoster if they can be of any assistance.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by Moggin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:29 pm

fergie3 wrote:....I will pull my old software technical writing skills out of retirement.....
Hey fergie3, could be that the process looks complex because you have too much expertise, if that makes sense. :) Don't tear your hair out, it's noob-friendly otherwise I couldn't do it.

My 2p worth -

1. You said
...config.phps"? There is nothing in them.
and
I attempted to empty the database, but there is nothing there to empty. There are no tables present.
- this suggests you have simply uploaded the opencart files. You need to run the install procedure after uploading the files. Installation creates the tables and populates the config files.
- and as i2Paq says - please don't delete the populated configs - you need them.

2. You said
Restore the backup of your database made at A: 2 using phpMyAdmin.
How exactly do I accomplish this? I did a full backup and now when I try to Restore, I get "Select Restore Type":

Home Directory
MySQL Database
Email Forwarders & Filters
- seems like you're looking at the cpanel backup section? Try going to the phpMyAdmin section- then you can import the old database directly via phpMyAdmin. Check here for advice on phpMyAdmin.
Although the terms used there are 'import/export' rather than 'backup/restore' - in this context, they mean the same thing.

Follow the documentation & i2paq's advice and you'll be good to go.

- One more thing - did I understand correctly that you're moving host: then you want to upgrade, and install a template. Wouldn't it be easier to do this on a local server first? Then upload the finished site?

Post by fergie3 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:39 pm

Thanks I2Paq and Moggins!

Pardon my amazing obtuseness!

It was right in front of me all along...A:1 - Backup your store files "via FTP" to your PC.

All I needed to do was connect to my host and download all the public_html files to my PC using FileZilla and then upload them again minus config.php and admin/config.php to my new host.

I got confused when I was able to perform 2 backups: (1) using the http://www.mystore.com/admin interface and (2) through phpmyadmin. I thought the first one was the "store files" referred to in A:1.

Moggin's,

What do you mean by "local server"? Using my PC as a server? Using HG? How exactly would I do this? I am big on doing things in the most efficient manner possible, although anyone who's seen my posts are probably snickering right about now. ;)

Post by Moggin » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:50 am

fergie3 wrote:..
What do you mean by "local server"? Using my PC as a server? Using HG? How exactly would I do this? I am big on doing things in the most efficient manner possible, although anyone who's seen my posts are probably snickering right about now. ;)
That's right, use your PC as a server - install something like XAMPP or WAMP (Windows), or MAMP(for Macs). Then you can amend/test files without the hassle of uploading them to a web host. You can also do upgrades and other tricky work, without risk to a live site. Much less scary IMHO :)

Here's a guide to running OC on a local server
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2619

Post by fergie3 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:16 am

That's right, use your PC as a server - install something like XAMPP or WAMP (Windows), or MAMP(for Macs). Then you can amend/test files without the hassle of uploading them to a web host. You can also do upgrades and other tricky work, without risk to a live site. Much less scary IMHO :)

Thanks! I will give it a whirl and let you know how it works out. If I get stuck, I will let you know.

I would like to give a shout out to Jay6390, I2Paq and Moggins. OC rocks and so do you!!! ;D

Post by fergie3 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:17 am

fergie3 wrote:
Thanks! I will give it a whirl and let you know how it works out. If I get stuck, I will let you know.
Ok..now I'm stuck at Step 2:
2. Extracting Files
Now extract the contents of the opencart zip file to the folder that corresponds to your webserver's web folder:
If you use xampp it should be C:\xampp\htdocs\
if you use easywamp it should be C:\EasyWamp\www\

you can rename opencart's top level "upload" folder to something like "oc"
1) I have created my database with "opencartdb" name after clicking on Phpmyadmin link in EasyWamp.
2) I uploaded OC 1.4.8 files to C:EasyWamp\www\oc
3) I pasted "http://localhost/oc/index.php" into browser and got "PHP5.1+ Required"

I thought EasyWamp was supposed to install PHP for me?

Where did I go wrong?

Post by openmycart.com » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:29 pm

I use xampp and found no problem

Find and get many various of opencart modules, themes, mods, etc for your opencart store at http://www.openmycart.com/oc/, OPENCART SITE customization and Maintenance supports at here

Post by Moggin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:40 am

Hmm...
I referred you to an old post: the general principles hold for any local server, but maybe Easywamp is not the good choice it was 2 years ago? ??? Like openmycart.com, I use Xampp.
It's a question of what works for you: I would not assume you did anything wrong.

Post by fergie3 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:11 pm

Moggin wrote:Hmm...
I referred you to an old post: the general principles hold for any local server, but maybe Easywamp is not the good choice it was 2 years ago? ??? Like openmycart.com, I use Xampp.
It's a question of what works for you: I would not assume you did anything wrong.
Ok. I see a lot of props for Xampp...will try that.

Thanks! :)

Post by azli » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:54 am

hai guys...I installs opencart on my localhost using xampp, then for some reason i want to move it to another pc.
I already copy all the files from the old files include import the databse to new pc, but the problem is the store front is empty, all the images are gone and also the layout.It only display white background and the wording is exist...on the administration side is working correctly...

how to solve this?

Post by vjgupta1910 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:23 pm

i want to migrate hosting server with change of Domain name, i am using opencart 2.1.0.1, please contact me vjgupta1910@gmail.com if someone can help me for smooth migration. i will pay the fee.
A is my new website with new design on Server-S1
B is my old website on server S-2
I want A website data on Server S-2 with B website name/URL