Post by shenkwen » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:04 pm

So basically I am not getting any email after placing a new order on my 1.5 site. When I look into the mail setting (system->setting->mystore->mail), there are several questions I need to get answer:

1) My understanding is, if you choose "mail", you need to enable PHP mail function in your hosting's PHP.INI file, is that correct?
2) I think If you choose "mail", when the clients get the mail, there could be a warning message saying "this mail may not be sent by myemail@whatever.com", is that right? I think if this is the case, then I might want to choose SMTP
3) What does the "Mail Parameters" do? Is this passed to the PHP's mail() function?
4) If I use SMTP, can I use any email address( not necessarily provided by the hosting) and I can get the infos(username/password/port/timeout) from the email provider? Actually I tried my gmail, on https://support.google.com/mail/answer/ ... hl=en&rd=1 it says "required SSL" under the SMTP section. Is SSL here referring to my website's SSL? If yes, currently my website doesn't have any, so can I still use gmail?

Post by imdevlper18 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:09 pm

1) My understanding is, if you choose "mail", you need to enable PHP mail function in your hosting's PHP.INI file, is that correct?
Ans) Yes its activated for most of the hosting provided by default. No need to do any kind of settings. It works by default.

2) I think If you choose "mail", when the clients get the mail, there could be a warning message saying "this mail may not be sent by myemail@whatever.com ", is that right? I think if this is the case, then I might want to choose SMTP
Ans) Not necessary. This is entirely dependent on your hosting. This happens a lot when you are shared hosting and using a cheap hosting provider. Try to find a good host and also use same email like your domain name.
Ex: Domain name : example.com
Email : username@example.com

3) What does the "Mail Parameters" do? Is this passed to the PHP's mail() function?
Ans) Check Opencart docfor this.

Enter your email address with "-f" in front of it. Example: -fusername@example.com

4) If I use SMTP, can I use any email address( not necessarily provided by the hosting) and I can get the infos(username/password/port/timeout) from the email provider? Actually I tried my gmail, on https://support.google.com/mail/answer/ ... hl=en&rd=1 it says "required SSL" under the SMTP section. Is SSL here referring to my website's SSL? If yes, currently my website doesn't have any, so can I still use gmail?

Ans) Yes you shall get SMTP info from your hosting provider. But when emails are send via SMTP. Depending on your hosting provider mails are delayed. Because everytime email is sent, it needs to check SMTP username and password with host. And if true then it sends emails. So this checking takes some time. Good host shall return true within 1 - 3 second. But bad hosting may return TRUE after 6 - 10 second. And hence places where emails are sent shall have a good delay time for bad host.

Opencart Extensions | Professional opencart support | Support Ticket | support@cartbinder.com

Post by shenkwen » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:37 am

Thanks. Some follow-up question for question 4):
Can I use Gmail? If I use gmail, what about the SSL?

Actually I was using gmail before, and my customers can get emails. But something happened and I have to restore the website, after that, the email alert stops working.