Post by notawebguru » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:56 pm

Hi there

Have an Opencart (1.4.9.5) site (http://www.secureusb.co.uk) which is about 2 years old now. I want to install the new Opencart 1.5.5.1 (or whatever is the latest).

I don't think it is possible to upgrade in the normal way nor do I want to just try to upgrade the site in the normal way.

What I want to do is set up a test site and when this is ready to go live I want to change the URL/domain from the test site to my current site - http://www.secureusb.co.uk

How do I go about this??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Post by paisleybay » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:53 pm

Hi experts out here, I have the same question as "notawebguru". Shall be thankful for an answer.

;) By the way, can 2 installations (on same server) share the same DB? If yes, can the 2 be different OC versions or do they have to be the same version?

Post by cwswebdesign » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:30 am

You should setup a new folder or subdomain and make a copy of your database. You don't ever want to try and run your existing database for an upgrade and your live store because changes are made to the database during the upgrade and you want to have a working solution in case the upgrade fails.

To switch from 1.4.x to 1.5.x, there is an upgrade script (look near the top of the forum), so setup a new folder or subdomain, copy your site and database there and begin the upgrade process leaving your current functional website in tact.

DL

This account is inactive. Look for us under the name 'EvolveWebHosting' and contact us under that username.

Thanks!

Location - USA

Post by nagoyajin » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:50 pm

I'm in a similar situation now and the suggestion by cwswebdesign isn't quite detailed enough for me. So I would :
1. create a new folder and duplicate contents of the existing website there
2. Backup the database then do what to avoid making changes to the live database? Where do I put the copy of the database?
3. Run upgrade script applied to the new folder?
4. How would I verify that the new version is up and running without interrupting the live version?
5. Once I'm convinced the new updated site is working do I just rename the old folder to something else then give the new folder the old name?

Any tips on making the transition smooth and safe would be greatly appreciated

Post by cwswebdesign » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:58 pm

nagoyajin wrote:I'm in a similar situation now and the suggestion by cwswebdesign isn't quite detailed enough for me. So I would :
1. create a new folder and duplicate contents of the existing website there
2. Backup the database then do what to avoid making changes to the live database? Where do I put the copy of the database?
3. Run upgrade script applied to the new folder?
4. How would I verify that the new version is up and running without interrupting the live version?
5. Once I'm convinced the new updated site is working do I just rename the old folder to something else then give the new folder the old name?

Any tips on making the transition smooth and safe would be greatly appreciated
1) Create a new folder and DON'T run an install script yet. Upload the version files you want to upgrade to
2) Go to phpMyAdmin and Export your existing database (makes a copy of it) and then login to cPanel and create a NEW database and import that copied file into the NEW database.
3)Change your NEW config files to include the NEW database and NEW directory paths.
4) Run the install script on the NEW site with the NEW database.
5) Check your admin screen and you'll see that it says the NEW version of OC
6) You can run both sites and see them both running at the same time on different software versions.
7) When you're ready to move it, you'll need to re export your live database, drop the test database and re import the updated database into it and run the install script one more time (so that your orders, products, etc are up to date) and then do the following:
Create a new subfolder and move your existing live store to it (include the .htaccess file) and then you can drag all of the new files into the location that your live store was at and update the config files to reflect the new directory.

If you're unable to do this, I'm available for hire: support@evolvewebhost.com

DL

This account is inactive. Look for us under the name 'EvolveWebHosting' and contact us under that username.

Thanks!

Location - USA