Post by rhorne » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:10 pm

Hi guys,

I'm running OpenCart 2.0.1.1 and Google Product Feed, is enabled.

Whenever I try and view the feed either at the URL provided by OPENCART or by replacing it with googlebase.xml the page just takes forever to load and then when I try and access the site CMS or indeed even the actual web shop itself it's really slow to load or doesn't load at all.

Eventually it recovers from this, but it seems trying to access the feed is generating a lot of strain on the server. I can't actually view it to check for errors, either which doesn't help.

Also, I have setup a Google Merchant account and even though there are thousands of products in my store, the feed only seems to pick up 2. Again this suggests an error in my feed but as I can't actually view it, it's proving really difficult to troubleshoot.

I can't update Opencart as this breaks the site spectacularly.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Post by uksitebuilder » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:33 am

The answer to why is in your question.

You have thousands of products.

OC's google base extension simply cannot cope with a large number of products. It just consumes all your server's memory.

Guru Member

Location - United Kindgom

Post by rhorne » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:07 pm

I didn't realise that would be such a big problem. That might also explain why the site has been running poorly in recent weeks. Is there a recommended extension more appropriate for this level of products? Looking at your profile, I'm guessing you might have something up your sleeve. :D

Post by uksitebuilder » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:55 pm

How coincidental is that ;-)

But yes, our Google Merchant extension has an advanced option for large stores to create the shopping feed incrementally, thus using less resources for each run

You end up with one hardcopy file which you schedule with Google to fetch daily.

Guru Member

Location - United Kindgom