Post by trojan21-angelzzя » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:39 pm

I started to rewrite Opencart 2.1 template classes with my own classes (I'm front-end and want to use my shop also as portfolio).

When I started to add modules I found out that probably it can be not the best idea taking in consideration that all modules use standard opencart styles to rewrite it via OCMOD. And I will need to make changes in all modules I add also.

I'm bit confused, so my questions are:

Is it good to rewrite opencart standard template with my own classes and changes postions and different blocks in template?
How to make it in better and smarter way?
What if I use OCMOD to rewrite templates? In this case what going with already rewritten by module templates? Example: I have Extra tab module. It adds more custom tabs in product.tpl cia OCMOD. I need to add my styles in changed tamplate also with OCMOD. How it will work? Whether it will work?
Thank you!

Post by MrPhil » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:09 pm

I think the first question to ask is, "how tightly do you need your portfolio integrated with your store?" Are you selling directly from the portfolio, or the store listings lead directly into the portfolio? If they don't have that much to do with each other, why not install as separate product (gallery-type application) for your portfolio in /portfolio, and your store in /store? If they're weakly linked, would it do to have a link to a product in the portfolio text, and a link to a portfolio entry in a product listing?

If you really need very tight integration, I think hacking an ecommerce product is the wrong approach. You might want to consider a CMS (e.g., Drupal) and roll your own customized portfolio-cum-store in it.

Post by trojan21-angelzzя » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:17 pm

MrPhil wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:09 pm
I think the first question to ask is, "how tightly do you need your portfolio integrated with your store?" Are you selling directly from the portfolio, or the store listings lead directly into the portfolio? If they don't have that much to do with each other, why not install as separate product (gallery-type application) for your portfolio in /portfolio, and your store in /store? If they're weakly linked, would it do to have a link to a product in the portfolio text, and a link to a portfolio entry in a product listing?

If you really need very tight integration, I think hacking an ecommerce product is the wrong approach. You might want to consider a CMS (e.g., Drupal) and roll your own customized portfolio-cum-store in it.
My shop is one thing, my work as front-end is another. They are not connected. I have shop, selling different products, I want to make it fancy. Also changing it I decided to use my front-end skills and make template code more front-end friendly. My questions wtill more about is it good or bad to make it this way?

Post by IP_CAM » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:37 pm

Is it good to rewrite opencart standard template with my own classes
and changes postions and different blocks in template?

It depends, if you already have, what you planned to use in your Shop, just go ahead,
but if you further want to install existing extensions, you may have to rewrite those Mods,
doing some 'Job' in/on the visual Front Section, to keep 'em working in your custom Setup.

I have exactly the same problem, when re-coding 1.5.6.x Mods to 'handle' one of my responsive
Test-Themes, some may even still function, but in the wrong place, and/or looking rather strange,
but this all can be fixed, if one know's how! :D
Good Luck!
Ernie

Ernie's OpenShop v.1.75 + OpenCart v.1.5.6.5 LIGHT Test Sites with free responsive Themes
http://www.bigmax.ch/shop/ - http://www.ebikes.li - http://www.ipc.li/shop/ - http://www.openshop.li/shop/

Guru Member

Location - Switzerland