Post by TAKCS » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:07 am

Good day all.

I am looking to change the customer group in the admin to split up the customers into less than 500 per group. Currently they are all in the default group as I have not setup any discounts per group. On my shared host I am limited to 500 emails per hour. So I would like to move customer to different groups to accomodate this limitation. I can go to a VPS plan if I wanted to spend the additional $45.00 per month (no thank you).

Any ideas on how to do this in a mass migration? I have looked at all the extensions I can find and none of them do this. They are all about auto switching after a certain order total is obtained over a predefined period of days. Not really what I am looking for. I could do each one individually, however, at over 1000 registered customers now, that seems like a lot of time I could spend doing other things.

Is there a way I could do this through an export/import? Any ideas would be great.
Have a blessed and prosperous day!
Allen

Post by straightlight » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:21 pm

Depending on the mount of customers you have to import for every batch you may obtain but if it's a huge list, I would rather suggest to use a remote API service to send those emails if upgrading to a higher hosting level is not an option for you. An alternative solution would be to split your emails that you need to send hourly with a cron task in order to reduce the risk of reaching the limited restriction mount of emails being sent hourly.

However, if the mount of emails you need to send those emails aren't this large, you could use an extension from the Marketplace in order to import customer information into the database with the use of a cron task to reduce the risk of exceeding the limits hourly for sending those emails.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by TAKCS » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:54 pm

A cron Job sounds like the way to go. I will research how to set that up. Thank you for the info.