Post by Lemontree » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:34 pm

Hi!

Trying to upgrade from 2.2.0.0 to 2.3.0.2.

(I am working on a dev version and have taken all backups)

I uploaded the files from the new archive downloaded from opencart.com. Extracted it over the existing installation.

Now I get this error:
Catchable fatal error: Argument 2 passed to Event::trigger() must be of the type array, string given, called in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/USERNAME/system/storage/modification/system/engine/loader.php on line 123 and defined in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/USERNAME/system/engine/event.php on line 19
Anyone else get this?

- OC version 2.2.0.0
- Mamp Pro local server
- PHP Version 5.6.10
- Original theme all the way (just css styling)
- A few mods.
Last edited by straightlight on Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added quote tags, removed bold statement.

Post by Simon_G » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:26 pm

You are not alone, I tried the same upgrade and had a very similar error. As I am on Vacation i decided to restore and leave the upgrade until I saw some post on the subject.

I am pleased (sorry) to see that I am not alone, as I did think it could be that my database was somehow corrupt.

Good luck I will be watching this thread

Simon

Post by straightlight » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:35 pm

You are not alone, I tried the same upgrade and had a very similar error. As I am on Vacation i decided to restore and leave the upgrade until I saw some post on the subject.

I am pleased (sorry) to see that I am not alone, as I did think it could be that my database was somehow corrupt.

Good luck I will be watching this thread

Simon
Welcome to the Opencart forum.

This thread should not be the one to be watched but rather these ones:

- http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=166011
- http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=166012

If an error is involved since the upgrade, it means my documentation was not followed up to the letter. Before posting and monitoring changes, I would strongly suggest to follow the two above topics for detailed instructions on how to successfully upgrade Opencart without issues.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Lemontree » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:39 pm

Thanks for the reply Straightlight.

I have been reading those two threads, but I can not find an simple walkthrough on how to upgrade... Have also clicked along the other links and have followed some of the tips I found (backups etc).

I have read these:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 53#p631428
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 46#p621941

The post by you (p631428) does not strike me as an easy to follow guide...

I should also mention that I have now gone over all the extensions, and there are still a few that has not updated the compability version on OCs store. So I will wait until all extensions say that they are compatible.

Are 2.2 and 2.3 in some way different systems, so that a clean install is a better way to start of with 2.3? I am a little confused...

But I can say that I miss some easy to follow instructions for upgrading. Coming from years of working with Joomla CMS and its community I am hoping that we can see something similar for OC at some point... or have I totally missed it/not found it?

(All of this is written with a smile ;D )

Post by straightlight » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:45 pm

Are 2.2 and 2.3 in some way different systems, so that a clean install is a better way to start of with 2.3? I am a little confused...
Yes, there are bug-fixes involved as well as the new infrastructure based on the ways the Extensions / Modules are being handled which is also included on my previous post. However, here it is: http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=165958
But I can say that I miss some easy to follow instructions for upgrading.
By following the step-by-step flows from this topic: http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=166011 . There's nothing preventing forum users on asking the questions on the official topic above and on how to follow these steps by also providing the full details on what they did to apply these steps. ;)

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by blmg911 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:19 pm

Lemontree wrote:Hi!

I uploaded the files from the new archive downloaded from opencart.com. Extracted it over the existing installation.

Now I get this error:
Catchable fatal error: Argument 2 passed to Event::trigger() must be of the type array, string given, called in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/USERNAME/system/storage/modification/system/engine/loader.php on line 123 and defined in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/USERNAME/system/engine/event.php on line 19
Yes, getting the same error but on different lines. We have journal installed and I've even installed the 2.3.0.2 and journals updates and still no luck.

Luckily, this is all on a dev site. I can't see on GitHub where someone has addressed this issue, i'm going to take a look myself but don't want to waste my time if someone else has already resolved this?

Post by straightlight » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:54 pm

blmg911 wrote:
Lemontree wrote:Hi!

Now I get this error:
Yes, getting the same error but on different lines. We have journal installed and I've even installed the 2.3.0.2 and journals updates and still no luck.

Luckily, this is all on a dev site. I can't see on GitHub where someone has addressed this issue, i'm going to take a look myself but don't want to waste my time if someone else has already resolved this?
Since Journal2 is installed and their latest update doesn't resolved the issue, the problem isn't with the Opencart core itself. When upgrading Opencart, it is highly suggested and recommended to disable all extensions before proceeding with the upgrade process.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by blmg911 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:19 pm

Since Journal2 is installed and their latest update doesn't resolved the issue, the problem isn't with the Opencart core itself. When upgrading Opencart, it is highly suggested and recommended to disable all extensions before proceeding with the upgrade process.
Wouldn't disabling an extension likely cause their data to be deleted from the database? This would mean that once the upgrade is complete the data has being lost (unless the user pull this from a back up).

Post by straightlight » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:25 pm

blmg911 wrote:
Wouldn't disabling an extension likely cause their data to be deleted from the database? This would mean that once the upgrade is complete the data has being lost (unless the user pull this from a back up).
Depending on the installed extension, this may also not be the case since there are many variations on the provided extensions for Opencart. Nevertheless, Opencart does not guarantee succession with previous installed extensions versions versus new core codes upon new Opencart version releases. It is still up to the responsibility of the merchants to ensure a successful upgrade and to maintain a matched version of each extensions they need to use that are distributed by the extensions developers.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by blmg911 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:19 am

straightlight wrote:
blmg911 wrote:
Depending on the installed extension, this may also not be the case since there are many variations on the provided extensions for Opencart. Nevertheless, Opencart does not guarantee succession with previous installed extensions versions versus new core codes upon new Opencart version releases. It is still up to the responsibility of the merchants to ensure a successful upgrade and to maintain a matched version of each extensions they need to use that are distributed by the extensions developers.
Any good extension / theme worth it's salt should delete all data when you disable the module; I've just tested this and as I thought this would be the case Journal deletes all the settings for your site styling etc. This would mean that if you upgrade to 2.3.0.2 and disable all extension prior to this would cause a lot of work to re configure the extension once you updated to the supported version of opencart.

Journal, as always was quick to update their extension / theme to support 2.3.0.2. But as I mentioned if you update Opencart to 2.3.0.2 and update Journal at the same time you still get the Catchable fatal error.

If you update to 2.3.0.2 first, the old version of Journal will conflict too - so you cant win here either. I feel sorry for the poor sods that use OpenCart like WordPress and pay for extension and use the installer. It just make it's so difficult to update.

Hopefully, once OpenCart really gets going, the updating process will be much easier. I feel one day this will be the case, until then we're all going to have to do things to hard way.

Post by mRC » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:32 pm

Hi all

please post if someone gets journal working with the latest version, I too have spent many hours in previous versions with many issues.

mRC

Post by blmg911 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:22 am

mRC wrote:Hi all

please post if someone gets journal working with the latest version, I too have spent many hours in previous versions with many issues.

Yes, I got journal working on 2.3.0.2 - but I did this using a fresh install of OpenCart and then installed journal and merge my old database (journal tables + old opencart tables) with the new database schema.

But, this was not a live site. It's on a development server and I'm only playing around.

If you do it this way, make sure you back up your website and database before anything so you can always rollback.
Last edited by straightlight on Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed caps.

Post by Simon_G » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:52 am

straightlight wrote: If an error is involved since the upgrade, it means my documentation was not followed up to the letter.
I followed the upgrade instructions contained in the installation instructions on the download page, which seem unchanged from previous upgrades

I appreciate your links and input and will run some tests when I get back to England

Post by straightlight » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:42 am

Simon_G wrote:
straightlight wrote: If an error is involved since the upgrade, it means my documentation was not followed up to the letter.
I followed the upgrade instructions contained in the installation instructions on the download page, which seem unchanged from previous upgrades

I appreciate your links and input and will run some tests when I get back to England
The upgrade instructions is not included in the installation instructions from the download page. The experimental upgrade is a separated tool that fixes the issue on originally upgrading the platform. The topic can be found here: http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=159898 . Then, follow these instructions: http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 11#p631668

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Simon_G » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:32 pm

straightlight wrote:The upgrade instructions is not included in the installation instructions from the download page.
Actually it is. There is a link to installation instruction which has a menu on the Left with a link entitled "upgrading Opencart" that links http://docs.opencart.com/upgrading/

Post by straightlight » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:08 pm

Simon_G wrote:
straightlight wrote:The upgrade instructions is not included in the installation instructions from the download page.
Actually it is. There is a link to installation instruction which has a menu on the Left with a link entitled "upgrading Opencart" that links http://docs.opencart.com/upgrading/
The documentation page is still a referral link which the downloads page itself does NOT contain the upgrade the instructions. In addition, the docs page is also not updated for the latest release.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Simon_G » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:42 pm

straightlight wrote: the docs page is also not updated for the latest release.
I realise that now!! Anyway, thanks again for your guidance, I will look at all the links you posted in due course

all the best
Simon

Post by straightlight » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:45 pm

Simon_G wrote:
straightlight wrote: the docs page is also not updated for the latest release.
I realise that now!! Anyway, thanks again for your guidance, I will look at all the links you posted in due course

all the best
Simon
No problem, Simon_G.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by moneycarlo » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:34 pm

Also got this error trying to go from 2.2 to 2.3. Ended up reverting back to 2.2.
Tried the included upgrade as well as the qphoria post. Then got lost of all the posts saying "to upgrade follow this post, then after that, go to this post"
I wish the directions were clear and in one post and not having to guess if these instrcutions are for 2.2 or 2.3 but they happen to work. Chasing various posts isn't ideal for someone like me.

Post by adun1 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:52 am

i have this same error with 2.2.0.0 -> 2.3.0.2 and i agree, with moneycarlo,
its 2017 and other open-source cms have one-button upgrade!, but with this one i have to follow zilion posts with "go there, do that, alter that, insert...."
i will wait for 2.4. and try to upgrade to that.if no succes i will abandon this mess of a system.