Post by DIHI » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:03 am

Hello

I installed version 2.0.0.0 a couple of weeks ago via softaculous, since then I have found out that this version was not quite polished and ready for stable release, news to softaculous as well as me! Anyway crappy things happen so now I find myself in a position after MANY hours of work and adding products, customising templates etc etc that I need to upgrade to the more polished 2.0.1.0 but this seems to be anything but straight forward. I am not a developer I am a small retailer who decided to go alone at creating my own store so to say I feel a bit duped is an understatement!

Could someone please please please provide me with a dummies guide to upgrading to the newer version please? Also not being in the developer world is there anything else I SHOULD know that has been somehow forgotten to be told?

Thanks in advance

Post by IP_CAM » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:11 am

Why do you feel a bit duped? Did anyone make any promises around here? I assume, It's nobody else's fault, if one does not check for latest releases, before starting to work on/with a FREE commercial software, knowingly still under development status.

No offense, just a (hidden) hint to make sure not to be ignored around here because of such ..., others may feel offended by such comments.
Good Luck anyway, can't be of assistance, I am one of the many, eager to see results, without errors....
Ernie
ipc.li/shop

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by DIHI » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:42 am

Well I installed and invested my time in good faith in what as far as I was concerned was a stable and ready for use in a live environment piece of software which after many many hours of work on my part has turned out to not be what it said it was on the tin, this is why I feel duped.

However putting all this to one side as I said in my original post, crappy things happen, to me now the more important thing is being able to move forward and upgrade to the latest version of the software without needing an IT degree. I love the software but if the stock answer for what seems to be a complete cock up is " well it is free " then maybe I should just cut my losses and move on?

Post by DIHI » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:17 pm

Look I do not mean to be an ar*e and I am genuinely sorry if I have offended anybody that was not my intention, I know you developers work incredibly hard on these open source projects most of the time for little or no reward and I really do appreciate it.
I was extremely frustrated with the whole situation last night as I had spent so much time customising and adding products to my store ready for launch this coming Monday so to then find out there may be issues with the version I have and there was no simple route to upgrade to the latest version got me a little annoyed to say the least.
I have tested my store thoroughly and have not come across 1 single issue yet but I am sure you can understand why I am nervous, apart from a few changes to the stylesheet the store is pretty much how it comes out of the box maybe this is why I am not currently having any issues?
As all I want is some reassurance that at some stage soon there will be an easy way to upgrade to the latest version, that is all I am really looking for, I installed through Softaculous so will there be a 1 click upgrade available at some stage through Softaculous so I can upgrade?
I realise it must be a stressful time for the developers I just want a bit of reassurance that is all.

Thanks in advance

Post by OSWorX » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:38 pm

IP_CAM wrote:Why do you feel a bit duped? Did anyone make any promises around here? I assume, It's nobody else's fault, if one does not check for latest releases, before starting to work on/with a FREE commercial software, knowingly still under development status
Well, he did - as so many others - and fallin into the 'trap'.
2.0.0.0 had too many bugs, 2.0.1.0 still has (maybe less) - but both are far away from stable, and that is what everybody assumes when he sees the download button!

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by pm-netti » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:19 pm

DIHI wrote:Look I do not mean to be an ar*e and I am genuinely sorry if I have offended anybody that was not my intention, I know you developers work incredibly hard on these open source projects most of the time for little or no reward and I really do appreciate it.
I was extremely frustrated with the whole situation last night as I had spent so much time customising and adding products to my store ready for launch this coming Monday so to then find out there may be issues with the version I have and there was no simple route to upgrade to the latest version got me a little annoyed to say the least.
I have tested my store thoroughly and have not come across 1 single issue yet but I am sure you can understand why I am nervous, apart from a few changes to the stylesheet the store is pretty much how it comes out of the box maybe this is why I am not currently having any issues?
As all I want is some reassurance that at some stage soon there will be an easy way to upgrade to the latest version, that is all I am really looking for, I installed through Softaculous so will there be a 1 click upgrade available at some stage through Softaculous so I can upgrade?
I realise it must be a stressful time for the developers I just want a bit of reassurance that is all.

Thanks in advance
Upgrade success in this extension:
http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... n_id=19572

Location - Kittilä, Finland

Post by DIHI » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:10 am

Hi pm-netti

Thanks for the link however I much prefer to get these upgrades and upgrade scripts directly from developer mainly to ensure future compatibility, also looking at that mod and the comments left it seems far from a simple process and dare I say maybe also in Beta stage?

Thanks anyways

Post by pm-netti » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:18 am

DIHI wrote:Hi pm-netti

Thanks for the link however I much prefer to get these upgrades and upgrade scripts directly from developer mainly to ensure future compatibility, also looking at that mod and the comments left it seems far from a simple process and dare I say maybe also in Beta stage?

Thanks anyways
Hi, thanks comment.

Depends on what you need to upgrade version 2.0.1.
However, I can say that this will bring the world's best upgrade script ;)

Location - Kittilä, Finland