Post by peterburtonuk » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:26 am

Is there any upgrade details someone can give, so that existing Users of v1.x can start using v2.0 without having to upload all the data again?
The "Products" database is almost essential and it would be nice if all the modules could be copied over easily.
Is there a solution?
Peter.

Post by magzen » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:33 am

You have to upload all the files for Opencart 2.0 using a ftp program to the root of the previous Opencart installation.

It depends on what your current version of Opencart 1.x, if using 1.5x then it should be easy to upgrade, but if you do have many modules it is recommended to wait until the module are available for Opencart 2.0 before upgrading.

The products wont be affected in the DB when upgrading, but you should backup your db and files so you can safely restore your store in case if something happens.

/magzen

Post by Johnathan » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:31 am

I don't believe the upgrade script works to go from 1.4.x/1.5.x to 2.0.0.x at this time. I haven't tested it myself, but I've seen others reporting errors with it.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by qahar » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:09 am

peterburtonuk wrote:The "Products" database is almost essential and it would be nice if all the modules could be copied over easily.
Unless you really need OC2 features, upgrading will give you more trouble since it's new released and still have bugs.
If you want to test, go with development server.

Extensions won't work as easy as copy. OC2 have OcMod, but from various scenario it's come to conclusion that it's hard to troubleshoot OcMod conflict (since it's saved in database) and upgrading extensions is not as simple as before for end user. And not to mention, OC2 also have "Event" (can used as hook to reduce extension conflict) that seem still not work properly on this official OC2 release.

I'm sure developer need to figure the best practice to allow end user (site owner) to get smooth experience on install and update extension; or it will bring more headache for both dev and site owner.

Expert Member

Location - Indonesia

Post by peterburtonuk » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:46 am

Thank you "magzen" for your reply.
I'm using OC v1.5.6 so I'll check if the modules I use are available in v2, make sure I have everything backed up and give it a go.
Peter.