Post by gina520 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:50 am

C2C internet market grows up very fast in the past few years. Now many programmers have been devoting themselves on developing the multi store marketplace projects.

You may check virtuemart,ubercart,prestashop,freeway.....they have new projects for multi stores which might be acccomplished soon. But,all of their projects look more like B2C instead of C2C.

You may also check www.etsy.com . So many people are searching for that kind of program ,but no one find it.

I appreciate Opencart very much - fast,clean,powerful functions for administrator,easy to configure.... But,if you want to be different from the other php carts,I think multi stores would be a good direction for your new consideration. ;)

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:52 pm

It's been discussed, but many of us fail to find a use for it.

Are you looking for something like Amazon.com where customers can sell stuff to other customers?

I guess if you wanted to have an Art shop and other artists could list their stuff on your site. But realize that is major commercial-like code. OpenCart is a couple of guys making a simple cart in their free time. A marketplace would take many hours per day and months to support all the logistics of how much goes to the store owner and such.

Lets get OpenCart to 1.0 before changing the main idea. That is really another project all together

Administrator

Post by gina520 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:33 pm

I never intend to alter the spirit of free code. I just wondered if you could think of adding a multi-stores module or plug-in. :)

In fact, I am going to set up a multi-stores with some of my friends. We are all handmade designers work at home. My idea is that everyone of my friends can set up,manage,and display their own products in their own store,then all the products in these stores can be displayed in a main marketplace at the same time just like etsy.com

I know it takes a lot of time to develope such kind of program. So,I am thinking,at least I could start from installing several Opencart into different Dir in my server to share only one database,then see what can I do next......... but,i found there is no PREFIX for each database data to identify each cart  :'(

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:37 pm

prefix support is coming in 0.8

Administrator

Post by bruce » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:41 pm

magento has a multi-stores option already built in

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:50 pm

thats cuz magento is too cool for school.
And there's up to 50 people working on it :)
And up to 7 years working on it
Last edited by Qphoria on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Administrator

Post by gina520 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:54 pm

Qphoria,

I appreciate your soon reply very much!!

Do you have a time schedule for 0.8? I will be looking forward to seeing the new version.

Thanks to bruce,
Magento is very nice and professional. But,it can be managed by only one administrator. :)

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:59 pm

0.7.9 is nearing final status
then comes a bunch of new features to be added to start 0.8

Administrator

Post by gina520 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:05 pm

Good job!!

Can not wait to see 0.8 ;D

I will try to study 0.79 thoroughly before I get to 0.8

Post by mussawir20 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi,
I have been working on Multi store marketplace for some time and I have done almost all required modules for multi store. I think it is good idea and cheap too in selling e commerce solutions.

I am using zend framework and open cart in making multi store marketplace, that is targeting not only online multi stores but for multi store markets and there management issues also.

I hope I will launch it at the end of next month..  8)

Post by Geek » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:46 pm

gina520 wrote: Thanks to bruce,
Magento is very nice and professional. But,it can be managed by only one administrator. :)
I have done some work with Magento and you can set up multiple administrators....it is just sorta difficult to find where to do it with the layout they have set up, but other than that it is not a bad product....that needs improvements (like everything else in the world :P)

gina520,

What if you assigned everyone to a specific Manufacture and then just allowed each person display their products under the Manufacture's name...it would sort of be like a multi-store? Just a suggestion.

~Simplygeek.net

Location - Cyberspace, the final frontier...