Post by BFFMedia » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:08 am

I have a high traffic site and I am trying to tune the store the best I can. One thing the host asked me was if OC 2.3.02 is a single-thread or multi-thread to determine what CPU setup it best. I can't find an answer either here out outside of here.

Secondly, with no budget in mind, what would you use for Memory and CPUs, Dual Core, Single Core? How many? Consider 3,000 orders per day and lots of traffic.

Thanks!

Post by yodapt » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:19 am

By default PHP is single thread.

About the server, as much memoty as you can (providing PHP is allowed to use it) and a Quad-Core, or more.

Opencart Developer - My Extension Showcase
Contact me at aeon.yoda@gmail.com

Post by BFFMedia » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:08 am

hmmm I was told that wordpress is multi-thread but if PHP is single then how can that be? Is only 5.6 single and 7.0 multi?

thanks for the earlier quick reply. thank you.

Post by BFFMedia » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:10 am

And you are advocating a single cpu quad core or more vs a dual cpu quad core or more?

Post by yodapt » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:13 am

PHP is am interpreter intended to be loaded into another process, and that process can sometimes be multi-threaded, but the advantages of multi-threading a HTML chunk spitter are ... none? If PHP was object oriented and the web environment itself a thing of the future, yeah .. but right now, it is not.

Optimization wise, sometimes you can offload work if you have a lot of traffic and need to deal with large uploads or image manipulation, but I think that is not your case. Instead, if I were you, I would pick a decent machine with multiple cores (because each request spawns a process and the more cores you have the more your cup(s) can handle given enough RAM) and, at most, offload some longer queries asynchronously :

Code: Select all

$mysqli->query($sql, MYSQLI_ASYNC);
About the last question, I dont know, it depends on the actual traffic stats. Maybe you can figure out yourself with one of those neat services where you increase / decrease resources as you go, until you find the optimal setting, but probably a single quad-core can do the job.

Opencart Developer - My Extension Showcase
Contact me at aeon.yoda@gmail.com

Post by BFFMedia » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:48 am

I appreciate your feedback. I ended up tuning the mysql and then got a 32gb Dual CPU Xeon with 16 cores. That should do it :)