Post by siteadvice » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:19 am

I'm just setting up a Maxmind account for the first time and have a couple of questions for anyone who has used it day-to-day.

When does the Maxmind query execute? Is it when you click the Confirm Order button on the Checkout page (ie. before posting the contents of the Checkout page to the payment gateway) or is it after the transaction has been authorised?

If it's the latter, then a fraudulent transaction may already have been made, so what do you do next? Follow up by trying to contact the customer and/or manually refund the payment?

Hope to hear from anyone who has first-hand experience.

inframes.com Website Design with Opencart, Wordpress, Lucee and bespoke application design and development

Post by labeshops » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:32 am

I tried it for a while but found it didn't tell me anything I couldn't otherwise see easily. It checks new orders as they come in so will ignore existing ones.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by siteadvice » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:50 pm

labeshops wrote:I tried it for a while but found it didn't tell me anything I couldn't otherwise see easily. It checks new orders as they come in so will ignore existing ones.
Thanks for your reply.

One thing I was not clear on: if the Maxmind score is above the threshold you set, does it prevent the transaction?

Our real concern is to prevent fraudulent transactions from being processed, not to find out about them after the event.

Thank you again.

inframes.com Website Design with Opencart, Wordpress, Lucee and bespoke application design and development

Post by labeshops » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:46 pm

I am afraid I don't remember, but I have all payments go thru as authorized so I can manually check the order and process it and also decline orders I suspect are fraudulent. It also lets me check availability first since not all of my vendors publish their inventory.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by Johnathan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:01 pm

No, MaxMind does not prevent the order from being placed. It only changes the order status on the order, so you can mark it as "Pending" or flag it as you want, and then check it out later. Because its system is not 100%, preventing orders can be dangerous because you could be preventing a lot of valid orders.

To prevent orders completely based on fraud information, you'd need to have some customize the MaxMind code in OpenCart. They'd need to move the check to before the order is confirmed, and then deny the order based on that information.

If you need to find a developer, you should post a request in the OpenCart "Commercial Support" forum, which is checked by a number of OpenCart developers. You can also try checking out the OpenCart "Partners" area.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by web-project » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:06 pm

Highly recommend to use the fraudlabspro.com, much better than Maxmind, as you will be able to add rules to verify transactions.

Location - Stevenage, UK

Post by siteadvice » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:43 pm

web-project wrote:Highly recommend to use the fraudlabspro.com
Thanks for the recommendation - can the FraudLabs Pro extension be configured so that it blocks a transaction that is above your minimum fraud score threshold?

Post by siteadvice » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:47 pm

Johnathan wrote:Preventing orders can be dangerous because you could be preventing a lot of valid orders.
Point taken, but in the case of this particular site, it's more important for the owner to maintain a good relationship with the acquiring bank than to worry about missing a handful of legitimate orders.