Post by samsotiriadis » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:02 am

straightlight wrote:
samsotiriadis wrote:Have done and the file structure is rather different.
It would, then, be suggested to upgrade to the latest version of Opencart before applying these changes.
I thought I made it clear on my previous post though that I am looking for another solution to this as upgrading the store isnt an option currently. Have you got anything else to suggest?


Posts

Joined
Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:20 pm

Post by straightlight » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:08 am

samsotiriadis wrote:
straightlight wrote:
samsotiriadis wrote:Have done and the file structure is rather different.
It would, then, be suggested to upgrade to the latest version of Opencart before applying these changes.
I thought I made it clear on my previous post though that I am looking for another solution to this as upgrading the store isnt an option currently. Have you got anything else to suggest?
It could be as clear as you mention samsotiriadis. Although, Opencart rather focuses on evolution. As time goes by, previous releases needs to step forward with new releases of Opencart from time-to-time. New features and bugfixes are involved on many platforms, including Opencart. Should you proceed manually to make the modifications is your decision. Although, my main concern on the forum is that forum users keeps stepping forward by upgrading their platform in the most effective way to resolved the most problematic issues that are being reported.

Tired of paying for service fees to export your database from other databases over Opencart?

Try those extensions for FREE: http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... aightlight

Regards,
Straightlight



Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON

Post by samsotiriadis » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:07 pm

This is understandable but there is no need to keep repeating. I am clearly looking for an alternative approach and you are clearly keep giving the same one solution which I have discarded so why keep repeating the same thing.

Thats why we love technology, because there is always more than just one way. Like there are 4-5 mods out there doing exactly just that which clearly is also another solution.
Everything in this planet has bugs. Thats why there are patch fixes. That you simply install on top of them.
When we have a bug on Windows 7 we dont ask people to upgrade to Windows 8 to fix. We release an update that runs on Windows 7.
Updating the core opencart files just because something isnt working is really not a viable solution when you have 20-30+ mods running on top of your business and during SALE period.


Posts

Joined
Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:20 pm

Post by straightlight » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:49 pm

This is understandable but there is no need to keep repeating. I am clearly looking for an alternative approach and you are clearly keep giving the same one solution which I have discarded so why keep repeating the same thing.
That is because this solution has always been the same as it is the most simplistic solution to provide to the Opencart merchants since ages and the procedure has not changed and will keep be repeated until a new administrative approach will be considered by the Opencart developers. There are more than 100000 registered users on this forum, it is not only 1 that could make that political decision that has been already handled since the very beginning.
Thats why we love technology, because there is always more than just one way. Like there are 4-5 mods out there doing exactly just that which clearly is also another solution.
4-5 mods does not replace the core which is why an extension is an element that is attached to the core but does not replace the core.
Everything in this planet has bugs. Thats why there are patch fixes. That you simply install on top of them.
When we have a bug on Windows 7 we dont ask people to upgrade to Windows 8 to fix. We release an update that runs on Windows 7.
I am sorry to say there but this analogy is 110% false. Not only this observation is improvised by your own observation but also the fact that Microsoft wouldn't release this official webpage on their domain to differentiate the personal opinion that you dictated on that.
Every Windows product has a lifecycle. The lifecycle begins when a product is released and ends when it's no longer supported. Knowing key dates in this lifecycle helps you make informed decisions about when to upgrade or make other changes to your software.
Source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... fact-sheet

You are considering Opencart as an operating system which is rather an extension used by another platform inside windows which is also an extension of an extension. Upgrading an operating system is 10 times worst than upgrading Opencart. Do you know what it is to have to wait several hours to upgrade on windows 10 for a service pack to be installed from windows update? I have upgraded Opencart countless times with this tool: http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... it=upgrade as well as countless other users did for their stores as they barely reported any problems with it as it takes only a few seconds to complete compared to Windows.

If you are not willing to upgrade within a few seconds period compared to a longer method that may not be needed to know on the forum, that is up to your total discretion. Extensions also needs change since nothing lasts eternally on this planet. Opencart will keep using upgrade methods in order to maintain the platform integrity and security patches whenever it's required.

Opencart upgrades are not mandatory on an every week basis and the Opencart team is already aware of that. The sales period, as you claim, can provide as many sales among the year compared to the upgrade releases period that is amended to be done which means you have more than enough time in-between to make the sales of the goods your customers are purchasing on an every year basis and so forth.

As for the Microsoft Windows Operating system comparison, please read the facts before posting them. Each Microsoft Windows Operating systems have a time-to-live version distribution, and that, not only based on licenses length but also on the product itself before heading to a new version. Meaning, the objective on upgrading between Opencart and Microsoft has no difference since even when upgrading with operating systems, the Industry does not guarantee a 100% flexibility proof of all installed platforms an administrator would have on his machine which is why Windows Update exists at this point so to keep the installed software up and running upon each released core platforms.

Tired of paying for service fees to export your database from other databases over Opencart?

Try those extensions for FREE: http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... aightlight

Regards,
Straightlight



Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests