Post by markuswest » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:17 pm

Hey everyone,

I just wonder how does the developers in Opencart make a living? are they freelancers or do the have a web development company or do they have a position in a big development company?

I want to study further in Web Development but I just wonder how does the other people survive around here

Best Regards,
Lloyd

--
South Africa, Johannesburg GMT +2

Location - South Africa, Pretoria

Post by IP_CAM » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:14 am

They probably mostly dont't rely on OpenCart to guarantee their daily bread and butter, but some of them have been able to earn a lot of bread, at least for some time. But as it goes, there are no real secrets about OC, so, it really takes real Pro's to find new ways, offer new Solutions or whatever, to keep alive and well on a longer term. Still, every day, OC is probably downloaded a few hundred times, so, an 'average' amount of money is beeing spent on a daily scale as well. It just depends on who gets the bread.

So, it's like anywhere else, where Products/Services are offered in a competitive environment. To survive requires one to build up a longer term Customer Base. This is possibly not the case, when doing 'such' work, therefore, one has to rely on a 'steady growth' of, i.E., new OC-Users, in order to keep the money coming in. But do NOT under-estimate the Money, generated by the OC-'Idea', a >> daily couple of OC '$grands' exchange << is an absolutely realistic figure, if you are really good, you may take your 'fraction' of it...

Just guessing and joking, don't take one of my words for real!

Ernie
openshop.li

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by markuswest » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi Ernie,

Its true what you say, OC is only one part of Web Design / Development services, and it all leads up to your clients if they want an online store where OC is meeting the need.

But serving clients is more like a dynamic income, you cant be sure when the next deal / money comes in, a static income is like a guaranteed income where you know you will generate money for living expenses, I am also looking at that and when you have more time for yourself working on a project for a client its allot easier to live and build the awesome website.

Thank you for the reply.
Lloyd

--

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by markuswest » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:03 pm

MarketInSG wrote:diversify is the key...
In other words, a multi skilled Samurai is the hired gun?

--

Post by IP_CAM » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:24 pm

it's Flexibility, what counts, one's own attitude. All depends on how one looks at things, the bottle is either half full or half empty. During my Life, I had the opportunity to enjoy it all, looking at 'it' from ALL angles. It has enriched my Life very much, walking on all sides of the road for some time. So, as I said, it's experience, what gives you freedom, security and (inner) peace, when you 'grow' old and, hopfully wise...

You know best, what you really CAN - do, what you can do yourself, don't rely on others, when it comes to 'choose' your Profession. Then, you can solve problems without the need of (expensive) assistance. Concentrate on what your'e doing, don't spread out into side-roads, stay on to the direction as planned. Find your (future) Clientele, find out about local/regional needs, check about local/regional clubs and organisations, possibly eager to use your Services. Check lokal/regional Businesses, find out who could be contacted to eventually support/sponsor a Club or whatever, if the, by example, plan to run some classified/auction/shop/social/etc. - sites on their Website.

Take locally favoured web/shop/social - sites as MODEL, when designing a Place, don't waist time with Schicki/Micky Stuff of Front Pages, concentrate on clear, informative and fast loading Coding. And don't expect to be a rich Man soon, it's very hard work, in a lively, highly competitive, Surrounding.

I know, it's easy to say, still, it's worth trying. Take it from someone, soon to be married for 40 years already, I got/kept her with 28 after 'wild' Years. For some reason, she followed me during bad and good times. It's most important, because it protected me as well from waisting costly time and money to solve my social and frequent 'geneticly programmed' problems and needs.

enough bullsh..., I have to work!

Good luck
Ernie

openshop.li

5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by markuswest » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:08 pm

Hi Ernie,

You mention allot of gems of wisdom, I think I am going to write this down "All depends on how one looks at things, the bottle is either half full or half empty." and keep in mind what you say, it takes other people their entire life to figure out some of the gems you mention and it gives a nice head start for anyone listening.

Many thanx
Lloyd

--

Post by IP_CAM » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:50 pm

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by opencartromania » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:09 pm

Hi there!

Great point of view and also the explanation...

So I' think, this are 2 separate parts of 'people' that earn their own "bread and butter".

1. freelancers - opencart -> part time job
2. companies - dedicate opencart department and are doing this day bay day

This is the way of earning money here where I' live and think the same way everywhere.

All of the best!