Post by sweeneymf » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:35 am

Hi everyone, currently running my website on Version 2.0.1.1. Is there any benifits to upgrading to the newest version of opencart?

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:19 pm

Well, there is an old saying:
NEVER TOUCH A RUNNING ENGINE. :laugh:
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by sweeneymf » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:32 pm

Thanks for the advise ;D
I thought I would be better upgrading, but I can tell now that it's not essential.

Post by IP_CAM » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:43 am

I would have to agree. Actually, there was no more 'quasi-final' Edition, from OC 2.0 up.
And since nobody else released some 'private' Editions (anymore), exept for some
russian Dev's, by including all knownFixes, still found after the release of such Versions,
every one of the official v.2 ++ Downloads remained to be a kind of v.0.9x Release, since
OC itself does no longer 'update' older Version Releases, even if later Errors/Misses
have been found.
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/is ... -409715744

So, whatever OC 2+ Version one decides on, it will still require one, to find out first,
what needs to be fixed, before one can be sure, not to be confronted again with
already known and forum and/or github published bugs and misses. 8)

But time is moving fast, and new Technologies are forcing Developers to adapt to new
standards. And this does not leave much time anymore, to create 'ultimate' Solutions.
It's the price to pay, to keep up with latest 'Things', so OC cannot afford to invest time
and brainpower into no longer 'actual' Versions. And, exept for some Russians, noone
else seems to be eager or willing anymore, to add something like a free 'latest' Version
'OC 2.2.x / 2.3.x / 3.0.x' Community Edition into the OC Extension Section, to at least make
those happy, not always looking for 'latest' Things only, but just for something, already
proven to work, as planned and expected. :-\

But unfortunately, Russian OC Versions speak partly english only, and they are not
'equipped' with Code for Ebay, Amazon, Authorizenet, etc., but other Stuff, (not)
likely used by some, looking for an alternative. Just to have this mentioned too... :'(

But I'm sure, that, in the end, it would only have positive effects, for everybody involved.
Still, this is strictly my personal view on 'things', so, don't take it for granted :D

Good Luck!
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by Johnathan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:34 pm

There are very few benefits to upgrading, unless you absolutely need a new feature or a vital bugfix from a later version. Upgrading almost always causes issues as well, if you've installed any extensions or modifications, which is why most people recommend against it. Unless you've having issues with your store that can't be resolved individually, I wouldn't upgrade.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by sweeneymf » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:03 pm

Excellent thanks for your letting me know.