Post by chessmagic5 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:32 pm

Is there a way to integrate Open Cart with Joomla CMS?

If current status is no. Will there be a plan going on that direction?

Joomla is the most commonly used CMS and I believe it would be a good thing to have an Open Cart module.

Comments please. Thank you.
Last edited by i2Paq on Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved

Post by i2Paq » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:48 pm

chessmagic5 wrote:Is there a way to integrate Open Cart with Joomla CMS?

Joomla is the most commonly used CMS and I believe it would be a good thing to have an Open Cart module.

No, and there never will be as OC cannot work as an module in any CMS.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by Qphoria » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:29 am

i2Paq is correct. OpenCart is already a CMS in technical terms. It is a "Full" cart system, not a module. The only way to link the two would be to create whats called a "Bridge" where the same user/pass table is used, or code auto links the 2 accounts to be logged in when one is logged in. Or you can use a wrapper like an iframe to put pages inside other pages.

Administrator

Post by Yakiv » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:15 am

i2Paq wrote:
chessmagic5 wrote:Is there a way to integrate Open Cart with Joomla CMS?

No, and there never will be as OC cannot work as an module in any CMS.
In other words, no one from the Open Cart developers will ever work on such a project. But, it does not mean that it will never be done by anyone else.

Post by i2Paq » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:48 pm

Yakiv wrote: In other words, no one from the Open Cart developers will ever work on such a project. But, it does not mean that it will never be done by anyone else.
Do a search on these forums and you will find a topic explaining why it can not and will not be done.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by Yakiv » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:02 pm

i2Paq wrote:
Yakiv wrote: In other words, no one from the Open Cart developers will ever work on such a project. But, it does not mean that it will never be done by anyone else.
Do a search on these forums and you will find a topic explaining why it can not and will not be done.
Do research on Frog CMS and Radiant CMS and find out if people are willing to do impossible things and come back to me.

Post by i2Paq » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:32 pm

Yakiv wrote:Do research on Frog CMS and Radiant CMS and find out if people are willing to do impossible things and come back to me.
What is the relation of this and the integration of OC and Joomla?
If you would have searched these forums and read the discusion on Joomla and OC you would have know that it is just not possible.
The reason why it is not possible has to do with the framework both are build on.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by Yakiv » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:43 pm

i2Paq wrote:
Yakiv wrote:Do research on Frog CMS and Radiant CMS and find out if people are willing to do impossible things and come back to me.
If you would have searched these forums and read the discusion on Joomla and OC you would have know that it is just not possible.
The reason why it is not possible has to do with the framework both are build on.
Everyone points to the framework, as if the framework is not possible to change. The discussion has been made over SilverStripe as well. The point is, a re-write could be made, upon a new framework, if a true merger was desired. (I am not saying merger as in doing away with Open Cart - as a stand-alone product - I am talking about a separate project.)

Post by Xsecrets » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:54 pm

Yakiv wrote:
i2Paq wrote:
Everyone points to the framework, as if the framework is not possible to change. The discussion has been made over SilverStripe as well. The point is, a re-write could be made, upon a new framework, if a true merger was desired. (I am not saying merger as in doing away with Open Cart - as a stand-alone product - I am talking about a separate project.)
You are correct it would be possible to port over opencart to one of the other frameworks, but at that point it's so much work why not just start fresh and write your own from the ground up? I really would be just as much work to port it as to start from scratch and write your own with the features you want.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Yakiv » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:01 pm

Xsecrets wrote: You are correct it would be possible to port over opencart to one of the other frameworks, but at that point it's so much work why not just start fresh and write your own from the ground up? I really would be just as much work to port it as to start from scratch and write your own with the features you want.
Actually, I think it would be less work to port it over, simply because so much work and thought has already gone into what is written. The idea of totally writing something from scratch is a big turn off to most developers.

Post by Qphoria » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:29 pm

Yakiv wrote: Everyone points to the framework, as if the framework is not possible to change.
This framework of OpenCart was just created a year ago. Many people on the old framework were quite unhappy with the change since their stores could not be updated. New framework means no upgrade. That was the whole point of ChromiumCart spinoff. If you are going to change the framework, then you may as well start a whole new cart site.

If you'd like a cart module for Silverstripe, you could hire someone to make one. They can make it look like opencart and use parts of the code so that opencart modules work for it. But it won't happen in the core. If it did, it would be for a popular system like WP or Drupal, even if silverstripe is better, its not as well known

Administrator

Post by Yakiv » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:43 pm

Qphoria wrote:
Yakiv wrote: Everyone points to the framework, as if the framework is not possible to change.
This framework of OpenCart was just created a year ago. Many people on the old framework were quite unhappy with the change since their stores could not be updated. New framework means no upgrade. That was the whole point of ChromiumCart spinoff. If you are going to change the framework, then you may as well start a whole new cart site.

If you'd like a cart module for Silverstripe, you could hire someone to make one. They can make it look like opencart and use parts of the code so that opencart modules work for it. But it won't happen in the core. If it did, it would be for a popular system like WP or Drupal, even if silverstripe is better, its not as well known
Fair and even-handed enough. How can I argue with that?

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:19 am

I'm sure you'll find a way :)

Administrator

Post by Yakiv » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:25 am

Qphoria wrote:I'm sure you'll find a way :)
You just think I like to argue. :P You're wrong. :) I only argue with illogical or malformed arguments. ;) And, if I see something that looks like a conflict of interest, it irritates me enough to say something. ::)

Post by mymyhope » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:36 am

but joomla user really want to need a bridge that can connect joomla and opencart
now someone have made a bridge with joomla and magento

Post by mhoq » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:45 am

There is an integration between opencart and joomla.
You can see the details about Joomla Opencart bridge from the following link:
http://soft-php.com/joomla-component-fo ... t&Itemid=4

Post by OSWorX » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:37 am

Can say only one: hands off.

Why?
2 reasons:
1. encrypted (who knows what this component is sending home)
2. runs not with php 5.3 (Zend does not provide an encoder for this version)

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Yakiv » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:17 am

joomx wrote:Can say only one: hands off.

Why?
2 reasons:
1. encrypted (who knows what this component is sending home)
2. runs not with php 5.3 (Zend does not provide an encoder for this version)
Thanks for the heads-up on this. Yes, the source needs to be open and unencrypted. ...Too bad. It does look interesting.

Post by Daniel » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:12 am

I really want this to. I was contacted a while ago by peter russell one of the people responsible for marketing Joomla. i also have the guy that wrote the 1.5 version on my skype list.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Yakiv » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:29 am

Daniel wrote:I really want this to. I was contacted a while ago by peter russell one of the people responsible for marketing Joomla. i also have the guy that wrote the 1.5 version on my skype list.
Maybe you can convince them to keep their code open and not encrypted. It would really popularize Joomla, OpenCart and their extension, even more. ...Like was said, without the code being unencrypted, you don't know what it could be connecting to and sending.