Post by OC2PS » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:36 pm

http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=19845

Opencart is first and foremost an ecommerce software - it isn't and shouldn't try to be a mailing list management software. However, shopowners are in dire need for a fully functional mailing list management script that is aware of their Opencart customer base...

I think in situations like this, it is wise to partner with/ integrate with other great OpenSource software. My suggestion is integration with PHPList, which does a fantastic mail management job.

Essentially what needs to happen is:
1. On "install", OpenCart should create a list called for every installed language in PHPList (e.g. Opencart-EN, Opencart-DE).
2. Everytime a customer signs up, checking the "newsletter" option, that customer (including name, email, at the very least) should be added to PHPList's OpenCart list for the language of signup (e.g. If customer registered on Opencart from a DE language page, he is added to Opencart-DE list on PHPList)
3. Everytime a customer updates details in his account, if customer exists in PHPList, his details are updated (e.g. if he unchecks "Newsletter" then he is marked as unsubscribed in the respective Opencart list in PHPList), and if the customer doesn't exist in PHPList but checks "Newsletter", then he is added to PHPList the same way as described in #2 above.

That's pretty much it!

OC2PS
OC 3.0.3.7, vQmod 2.6.2, Journal3 theme
Arcfesték, Csillámtetoválás, Henna
Check out: All my extensions | My FREE extensions

Location - Hungary

Post by SapporoGuy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:35 am

Whooo! another item from my work log ;D
I haven't used the internal mailing list, yet. Is it that under-powered to pull in a big boy like phplists?

I was going to do this along with a few other things once my site went live.
The zip file alone is like 3.4megs and it's not MVC at all.

Have you seen any other CMS/apps integrate it?

This will also require either bridging the log-ons and tokenizing all of the links in phplists or ... using opencart to rely on phplist tables and such.

Years ago I got phpBB2.0 to bridge to oscommerce but I have a feeling that this is actually a bigger job ... :o

930sc ... because it is fun!

Post by OC2PS » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:40 am

It's not MVC. Then again, it's primarily a 1 page software - send email :laugh:
(of course there's alot of other stuff like configurations, lists management, user management, and even consumer-side subscribe and unsusbscribe pages, but you know what I mean...)

I think a bridge is probably an overkill. All we need is a hack - all we need is for OC to be able to modify PHPList tables, given PHPList database login details. There are 3 well-defined triggers for this to happen...unless other people have grander ideas....

And the database structure of PHPList is very stable, and no real changes are expected...

OC2PS

Location - Hungary

Post by SapporoGuy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Have you come across any simpler phplist like applications?
It seems that php list might be over kill.
I was also wondering about the ability to run campaigns and such.

When I was digging a bit into phplists last night sugar and vtigre also came to mind ... Then I got stumped.
Is phplist a better way to this consider to say using sugar?

Which brought me back a full circle to where I was about 7 years ago. I have always wondered why there isn't an ecommerce solution (open source) that goes beyond the simple admin panel such as you have with opencart.

I just don't get it .... any comments or ideas in regards to going beyond phplists?

Post by OC2PS » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:52 am

SapporoGuy wrote:Have you come across any simpler phplist like applications? It seems that php list might be over kill.
PHPList is a very simple solution - I have no idea why the package is so heavy (close to 4MB). But trust me, it is very simple: Manages mailing lists, manages users, sends emails. Supports importing users (csv), templates, provides subscribe and unsubscribe pages. It does leave a few things wanting, but it is a fairly adequate application for most needs.

Try out a test install!
SapporoGuy wrote:When I was digging a bit into phplists last night sugar and vtigre also came to mind ... Then I got stumped.
Is phplist a better way to this consider to say using sugar?
Sugar and vTiger are the ultimate dream scenario. Problem is, apparently it is VERY hard and resource intensive to integrate OC with either. Also, frankly most shopowners (including yours truly) are not sophisticated enough to fully utilize the functionalities provided by the CRM systems. PHPList is a simple and reasonable way to do it, that would solve the issues of most people (in my opinion)...the additional effort to integrate vTiger is probably not justified by the benefit to a small proportion of OC users...

OC2PS

Location - Hungary

Post by SapporoGuy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:59 pm

Have you seen this?
http://pommo.org/
which is now this apparently ...
https://github.com/soonick/poMMo/wiki

I am a wondering about phplists ... I just don't why but something is turning on the spider sense saying that this might not be the one. I went through a couple of the sites that phplists has on it's forums and lots are coming up as phishing sites or gone ... I am just not sure ...

Post by OC2PS » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:23 am

SapporoGuy wrote:Have you seen this?
http://pommo.org/
which is now this apparently ...
https://github.com/soonick/poMMo/wiki
Never heard of it. Will check it out.
SapporoGuy wrote:I am a wondering about phplists ... I just don't why but something is turning on the spider sense saying that this might not be the one. I went through a couple of the sites that phplists has on it's forums and lots are coming up as phishing sites or gone ... I am just not sure ...
I've been using it for over a year, and am largely satisfied.

Of course, since it is a mass mailing software, undoubtedly a lot of spammers probably use it as well...as are many reputed organizations including large NGOs...

In my experience, it is quite configurable...you can throttle mails, batch process them, etc etc....

OC2PS

Location - Hungary

Post by beipink » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:58 am

Hey OC2PS,
have you got anywhere with this integration?

Post by twilli » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:44 pm

Hi,

For anyone interested, I created an extension to export customer data from Opencart to PHPlist.

You can find it here:
http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... n_id=12324

Let me know if you have any questions.

[Fast Product Relator] - [PHPlist Sync] - [MediaWiki Integration]

Post by aljawaid » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:47 am

twilli wrote:Hi,

For anyone interested, I created an extension to export customer data from Opencart to PHPlist.

You can find it here:
http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... n_id=12324

Let me know if you have any questions.
hello, is this likely to be updated to OC v2.2.0 by any chance?

Total e-commerce newbie bravely testing OC v2.0.3.1 before rolling it live...getting there slowly, somehow. Maybe not. I dunno.

Location - UK