Post by GoldenTongs » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:56 pm

One thing i will say is needed,
is a way to filter out mods from devs that no longer provide support or are very slow to provide support,
there is nothing worse than purchasing a mod, imediately finding a bug, then waiting a week for support
maybe opencart should provide the support ticket system through opencart.com,
mod devs should have an average response and resolved time displayed on their profiles and mods,
this would allow buyers to know what type of support to expect from each dev,
i do not think there is anything wrong with providing updates and support for only 12 months,
but each mod should also have its own sub forum to provide any support,
this would save a lot of time also for devs as common issues may already be resolved,
and the community will help each other aswell in these forums
but having said this buyers should also be allowed to purchase mods without any support at intial purchase for slight discount, which limits them to only use that mods forum for any issues, or they purchase support later if needed.
and further 12 months or subscription of updates and support should also be offered at heavy discount.

This would help build an opencart community a bit like cubecartforums.org that used to have a thriving community, although it has declined over the years, but i think that is mainly due to newer paid versions of cubecart not including many features which should come out of the box, like opencart or other carts now provide.

http://Lilphones.com

Post by GoldenTongs » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Also, i see the intial post here says that updates and support will be limited to 12 months will commence with opencart 2.0 onwards,
however some mods devs have already started to limit licenses to 12 months here on opencart.com

Post by GoldenTongs » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:08 pm

one more thing i would say would be very helpful in the extension store,
is a "does it work with this version" like they have on wordpress.org
so users can state if the extension works with a newer version of opencart or not,
when the extensions dev has not yet updated extension page to state if compatible with newer version of opencart,
it would also be ideal that is someone states the extension does not work with newer OC,
then the Extensions dev gets an email which also includes the username of that person so they can ask them for details,
or even have a text box for user to submit details when report bug to help dev when updating extension.
Maybe also once ten users say the extension is compatible then this gets updated on extension page and also gets added to filter so it shows up in results when you filter the OC version.

i use the does it work poll on wordpress.org a lot, as if you just filter out mods which have not been updated or checked with recent release you miss out on a lot of mods which may actually work fine.

i also search through old extensions on OC.com but it is a bit more time consuming having to read through comments to see if any states whether the extension works with most recent release of OC

Post by flanders » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:51 pm

Hi

I would suggest you:

to mention in each bought extension for which domain it will work. When a customer buy any extension shall enter the website url where the extension will be installed.

Color Size Table - A table for Colors and Sizes
Super Options - Options with quantities and calculate the upgrade total price automatically
Live New Price with Options - Update price product selecting options
Custom Plus Options - My Extensions

Location - Italy

Post by nooblike » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:02 pm

Hello,
As a buyer, i want to keep downloading the extention that i've bought... not to dissapear from my account after 12 months.

A system from my opinion i would like this:
- Buy the extension -> You get 1 year of FREE updates and basic support
--- after the year pass, no more updates and support but you keep the extension that was the last updated in your account so that you can download it anytime you want.
--- also if the extenion gets updates and in future and you want them i would pay the price of it with 30% discount
Something like Easy Digital Downloads for Wordpress ( https://easydigitaldownloads.com/docs/e ... onditions/ )
---- also pay for the Support if you want Priority ( https://easydigitaldownloads.com/support/pricing/ )

I hope you understand. I'm a bit tired.

Thanks.

Post by itocinc74 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:49 am

Daniel, I know you have the last word so I hope this is received gracefully:

I think it's good to be fair to the developers but also be fair to the users who spend the money.

Many times I will buy a plugin, and not use it for months after deciding it may be better suited for a different type of store. This is Open Source stuff and things don't always work as it should and sometimes, developers are not as skilled.

Also developers get swamped and not always support when you need them to. So if I only have 1 year, then I deserve support when I ask. However, the one many shop can't always provide this type of customer service.

Due to this new rule, I can only buy if I am most 100% certain I'll use the plugin immediately but that's not realistic. Many plugins I have bought didn't work as I thought it would (demos aren't always 100% accessible and description are not always clear either). So if I have to let the plugin sit (until I find a use for it) I should be able to, and when I go to use it and get errors the developer should not tell me to fork up more cash because my year is up.

I think each plugin should work with the version for which it's created and the license I pay should be perpetual for that version is the best road. If I buy version 1 and the developer has minor updates and enhancements, then I should get them. When there is a major version update, then I should pay for version 2 of the major update improvements.

So if you decide to go with the 1 year sub as mentioned, what guarantees your customers that they'll receive a high level of customer support since their time is limited?

Thanks.

Post by itocinc74 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:42 pm

Consider your paying customers:

If there is a 1 year subscription, then how will the developer's customer service be regulated I have paid for extensions and the developer disappeared for months. Is that fair that customers don't get proper support, yet are told they will need to pay for another year of service?

What about the one man developer shop who is overwhelmed with support requests and is not getting to them all in a timely manner because he also has other projects? You're moving in favor of your developers rather than the paying customers who will deserve commercial support if they must adhere to a 1 year limitation.

When there are paying customers, you'll always have developers. But when you alienate your customers, then you lose paying customers.

The best solution is to support by version number. This will:

1. Allow developers to make more money by putting new features in a new version. Instead of a subscription, they get to charge for the whole package.
2. Allows developers to put an End of Life date on earlier versions.
3. Allows customers to keep and maintain their modules and get all minor updates that are available.
4. No one on either side is alienated or given more favorable concessions.

I purchase a lot of extensions on Opencart. I've spent thousands at a time on Extensions and have supported many developers twice over. And it looks like this new subscription model is made to alienate customers like me.

Post by GoldenTongs » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:36 pm

itocinc74 wrote:Daniel, I know you have the last word so I hope this is received gracefully:

I think it's good to be fair to the developers but also be fair to the users who spend the money.

Many times I will buy a plugin, and not use it for months after deciding it may be better suited for a different type of store. This is Open Source stuff and things don't always work as it should and sometimes, developers are not as skilled.

Also developers get swamped and not always support when you need them to. So if I only have 1 year, then I deserve support when I ask. However, the one many shop can't always provide this type of customer service.

Due to this new rule, I can only buy if I am most 100% certain I'll use the plugin immediately but that's not realistic. Many plugins I have bought didn't work as I thought it would (demos aren't always 100% accessible and description are not always clear either). So if I have to let the plugin sit (until I find a use for it) I should be able to, and when I go to use it and get errors the developer should not tell me to fork up more cash because my year is up.

I think each plugin should work with the version for which it's created and the license I pay should be perpetual for that version is the best road. If I buy version 1 and the developer has minor updates and enhancements, then I should get them. When there is a major version update, then I should pay for version 2 of the major update improvements.

So if you decide to go with the 1 year sub as mentioned, what guarantees your customers that they'll receive a high level of customer support since their time is limited?

Thanks.
Totally agree with this comment, while i am all for devs to earn to encourage better quality extensions,
i have wasted good money on a few extensions recently, where the dev has simply disappeared and left me with an extension that does not work.
3 extensions in the past 2 months, 2 devs did quickly respond when contacted and said they were working to fix issues and that was last i have heard from them and another dev simply refuses to acknowledge anything is wrong and will not reply, even when fixes are given to him as found bugs so far are minor issues like typos in vqmod xml files search tags, and even his own demo does not work (2.0 demo was created after purchase).

regardless of 12 months updates and support etc.
there does need to be more details about the devs for customers to see like response time and genuine customer feedback (all of it), so the devs with outstanding customer service and quality of work will stand out.
as it is now devs simply delete any comments asking for bug fixes or responses, and new customers are left none the wiser to some devs poor customer service and work.

Post by D3MO » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:38 am

I am new here(registered long time ago:) but was developing extensions for other platforms:) whey not to make something like ebay does with buyer/seller ratings, once you purchased the extension you can rate your the extension quality with stars like it is now and a comment for example in 1-2 weeks period,(why 1-2 weeks? because there is plenty time for buyer to test the extension in 2 weeks, and even if he will not use it instantly he can at least test it) and not come after 3 years and say hey , this extension doesn't works. it is the same like with real stuff we buy at shop, if we buy a microwave we do not put it for 1 month aside until we unpack it:)

So both buyers and developers could rate each other:) and both would know what to expect from each other looking at each other's ratings and comments:) if the custommer keeps complaining about all extensions he buys, so developers also would know that the customer is hard to please:) and vice versa, once a custommer will buy extension from developer and there wil be 100 comments that the developer do not responds to emails or no support no help or no bugfixes, other customers would think maybe to buy 5$ more expensive extension from developer with good rating instead of risking to buy it cheaper and later notice that it do not works or no support for it:) well thats my thoughts:)

Opencart Expert | voldemaras@gmail.com
Skype - programanija | Gtalk - voldemaras@gmail.com
Extensions for Opencart @ https://www.opencartextensions.eu / or Opencart Marketplace

Need Custom Module? debug third party module or simply have any question related to Opencart? feel free to contact directly for a live chat session:) - INSTANT LIVE CHAT

Post by gob33 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:15 am

Is there an approximate date when the license time limit system will be online ?

All my extensions

Location - France