Post by kimbo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:41 am

Sorry about the trigger happy finger in that other post..
I am using MijoShop/Open Cart.
I set up GeoZones for the different sales tax rates in NY counties using Jonathan's suggestions from an earlier thread:

etc. Then a GeoZone for each tax rate with each of the zones that charge that particular rate included in that Geozone. Set up Tax Rates for each GeoZone and finally Tax Class "NY Sales Taxes" which includes all of the tax rates for the counties.
Individual Products are set to tax class: "NY Sales Taxes"
Store settings:
TAXES
Display Prices With Tax: No
VAT Number Validate: no
Validate VAT number with http: NO

Use Store Tax Address: SHIPPING

Use Customer Tax Address: SHIPPING

This is how it appears on the Estimate Shipping and Taxes screen as well as Order Total screen.
Estimate Shipping & Taxes
Sub-Total: $24.00
Flat Shipping Rate: $6.00
Total: $30.00
Checkout
Continue Shopping

Did I miss something? There is nothing calculating Sales tax in the Order Totals. I want it to charge the sales tax on product and shipping as well as appear in the order total.

Thanks,
Last edited by kimbo on Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kimbo
The Chloelina All Natural Soap Co.
chloelina.com

Post by Johnathan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:43 am

Is your "Taxes" Order Total enabled in Extensions > Order Totals? It sounds like it's not.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by kimbo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:47 am

Yes, Jonathan, it is enabled with a sort order of 1

kimbo
chloelina.com

Post by Johnathan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:56 pm

If it's ordered before Sub-Total, then it's trying to calculate taxes without a sub-total (i.e. on a 0.00 cart total). You need to always have Sub-Total be first, and Total be last.

Also, if you have Taxes before Shipping, then it's not going to add in any tax on the shipping, since the shipping will be calculated *after* the taxes. You need to have the order of the Order Totals as they would be calculated.

Administrator

Post by butte » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:11 pm

You'll see the point already, kimbo, among price, tax, ship, sub, grand totals.

It may help, or not, in remembering why, to think of the processing stack, or if you're familiar with it to think of the "reverse Polish notation" used in Hewlett-Packard and certain other calculators (no "=" on the keyboard, last done gives result at that point). The thing works in the order given it, while and notwithstanding that particular subsequences are -- remember these? -- "associative" arithmetic and its own funny friends. 'Tis a simple beast but is quicker at it than we are by hand.

Guru Member

Post by kimbo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:31 am

Here is the sort order under Order Totals:
Sub-Total =1
Shipping=2
Taxes=3
Total=4
Even though I have only Flat Rate Shipping for now to test, it and the shipping fee shows up on the order confirmation page. Though it is not calculating taxes, there is not even a line for it on the confirmation page.
I am wondering if there is something that I missed with the geozone/rate set up....

kimbo
chloelina.com

Post by butte » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:46 am

System / Localization, check tax classes, tax rates, geo zones for entries having even been made and enabled, and for mutual consistency. It can do taxes, it can do taxes on the right stuff in the right sequence, but the localizations tell it (most of) the rules.

Guru Member

Post by Johnathan » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:26 am

Yes, it seems like you have everything set up right, so it's probably an address / location mismatch. In addition to what butte suggests, make sure your tax class is applied to the right customer groups, and that it's based on the correct address type (shipping or payment) depending on what you want.

Administrator

Post by kimbo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:14 pm

Well, Jonathan and Butte, here is what I found (probably by accident and desperation)

The issue was the Tax Class set up within Products. In Localisation>Tax Class, I set up "NY Sales Taxes" and added rule(s) to include all of the tax rates I set up for the counties, which included their respective GeoZones.

System> Settings> Store settings under "Option":
Use Store Tax Address: Payment
Use Customer Tax Address: Shipping

BUT the Products settings: Under "Data" > Tax Class
I had entered the Tax Class I set up: "NY Sales Taxes"
When I changed this to simply "Taxable Goods" All went right with the tax world! well, at least for that one product so far..

After testing several counties by zip code entry, your wonderful idea of setting up county taxes is calculating like a charm. Let's go ahead and mark this RESOLVED so others may prosper. Thanks so very much for your help.

Now onto Shipping Zones....

kimbo
chloelina.com

Post by butte » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:03 pm

In order to mark it Solved you need to edit your opening title. Give it a few days to stay fixed.

Guru Member

Post by kimbo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:04 pm

Ah, good point

kimbo
chloelina.com

Post by butte » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:09 pm

Two laws. Murphy's Law.-- Whatever can will go wrong. Canby's Law.-- Murphy was an optimist.

Guru Member

Post by kipik87 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:17 pm

If above didn't solve your problem, try to check if you have ticked Customer group on the Tax Rate edit page http://cdn.imghack.se/images/91f1dc324d ... c16738.png

I spent around an hour until I discovered that I forgot to set it. :)

Post by mmcdermott1 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:30 pm

I am having the same issue. I have 6 rules setup in tax classes and 6 tax rates (6 counties in ohio). When I press "estimate shipping and taxes", the shipping shows but the tax does not (after I put in a zip code). I have checked everything above and it is all set correctly. I did also check the default group as the post above this one explains (did to each of the tax rates) but all that does is causes all 6 tax rates to show up when an item is added to cart. Any idea why the estimated tax wont show up?

Also, how exactly does OC figure out the tax class/rate based on a zip code? Is there somewhere that I have to setup zip codes in the backend? There isn't to my knowledge but then again on my other sites I sell non taxable products so this is my first time setting up taxes.

Thanks

Post by butte » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:16 am

mmcdermott1, the geo zones are that bridge between zip codes and taxes. You can think of your geo zones as your own overlay on a common map. In System / Localizations the geo codes tell OC where the tax classes and rates occur.

Guru Member

Post by Magnetic_dud » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:56 am

kipik87 wrote:If above didn't solve your problem, try to check if you have ticked Customer group on the Tax Rate edit page http://cdn.imghack.se/images/91f1dc324d ... c16738.png

OMG, I can't believe that I wasted three hours of sleep for that simple checkbox :choke: :choke:
Thanks for the screenshot!!! :-*

Post by Schultzy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:55 am

kipik87 wrote:
If above didn't solve your problem, try to check if you have ticked Customer group on the Tax Rate edit page http://cdn.imghack.se/images/91f1dc324d ... c16738.png

OMG, I can't believe that I wasted three hours of sleep for that simple checkbox :choke: :choke:
Thanks for the screenshot!!! :-*
OMG. LOL. I spent most of today trying to figure this out. ... and it is a simple checkbox. Thank you so much kipik87 ??? Hope my post works, its my first post.

Post by sesoft6 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:54 pm

Please i want to see this image but this url not working.
http://cdn.imghack.se/images/91f1dc324d ... c16738.png
please give me other screen shot.

==============================
https://aspirewebsolution.com/

Location - Multan