Post by cdim » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:20 am

OpenCart Version 1.5.5.1, Authorize.net, GoDaddy

Some orders are processed correctly and set to pending. But some orders even though they have been processed by Authorize.net as completed orders only show up under Missing. I have looked at browsers, OS, time zones, type of credit card used. But none of these appear to be the problems. Any guidance at what to look for regarding what could cause some orders to be processed correctly and other not would be greatly appreciated.

I have found other threads mentioning to comment out the MD5 check, but this looks like it is only a fix if all orders are being marked as missing.

Alson found the "Authorize.Net Missing Orders Fix + Expiration Month Fix" extension, but again this looks like a fix if all orders go missing?

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:03 am

Post by joer80 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:39 am

I have a client with 1.5.5.1 that has a few missing auth.net orders a day. Driving us crazy! This was not a problem in previous versions.

New member

Posts

Joined
Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:19 am

Post by yrashid11 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:26 am

I seem to be having a similar problem. I hope someone figures something out soon - I've had to disable auth.net for now... this seems to be a fairly recent thing.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Sat May 11, 2013 7:01 am

User avatar
Administrator

Posts

Joined
Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:02 am

Post by joer80 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:38 pm

Looks like it was reported 22 days ago to github. https://github.com/opencart/opencart/issues/814

I put this issue on the 1.5.5.1 right thread right after it was released, but could never figure out how to reproduce it. Turns out, its the comma in the address line or company line that was doing it. :)

New member

Posts

Joined
Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:19 am

Post by Sea-Wing_Designs » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:12 am

I am having this issue and tried changing the , to a | but no luck. The orders are still ending up in the missing file. Any ideas?

New member

Posts

Joined
Tue May 21, 2013 7:57 am

New member

Posts

Joined
Tue May 21, 2013 7:57 am

Post by Counting Pounds » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:30 am

is there any way to validate data entry and prevent people from entering a comma - this will mess up anyone's offline order processing if it uses export via CSV.

I plan to use CSV files to export addresses to my courier............ and don't want stock going to timbuktoo, wherever that is.

ideally, I'd swap the comma , for a ~ As far as I know a ~ symbol doesn't have any specific meaning, but if it did some other inert character. The person keying it in obviously though it was important.


Posts

Joined
Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:55 am
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests