Post by Iamdbat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:44 am

I find the most frustrating and annoying part about OC is Extension Compatibility - something surely needs to be done or addressed here - I understand (before anyone gets on a high horse and says ... this is the way it is so to speak) how open source works - but there MUST be a way or rule of thumb that can be built into module or extension criteria before they can be submitted to the OC extension list - Like me the MAJORITY of users are NOT programmers - we simply want to make our site user friendly .... and so we spend a stupid amount of money on second rate extensions because .... NUMBER 1 - The images of the screenshots are too small! - NUMBER 2 - The descriptions promise but the demos aren't there - NUMBER 3 - Support for these extensions is a TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT SERVICE!!!!

Now don't get me wrong I like OC - but the amount of time and money I have spent still hasn't seen my site up yet six months on - I don't mind paying for trusted and recommended (but responsible and responsive) services but it would seem that in getting in contact with the sparse offering advertised - your lucky if you get a timely response!

I dunno - I think that extension builders should EARN their place on OC - HAVE the necessary expertise and be APPROVED as a custom provider - I have been taken by a couple of people - who I can name if anyone is interested on these forums who purport to be programmers but are really scammers and DON'T have the experience and EXPERTISE to DO the job!!!

IF OC IS TO BE A SERIOUS PLATFORM - THERE SHOULD BE RULES - It seems that there isn't any and anyone can have a go .... WRONG APPROACH!!! in my humble opinion

No doubt somebody is going to have a problem my sentiments but to those I say - I'm writing what a lot are thinking ...

Post by Johnathan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:00 am

I agree that there are a lot of developers who do not code or support their extensions well, and that an approval process of some sort would improve things. However, I think the idea of the OpenCart store is a come-one-come-all kind of store -- more like an Android marketplace than Apple's app store.

Probably the best thing to do at this point is to only buy extensions that have a number of positive comments, and from developers that respond to an inquiry within a reasonable amount of time.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by Iamdbat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:26 am

Too True - I have so many suggestions for OC to be the LEADER in carts worldwide but I know I'll be shot down - THERE IS - REAL WORLD Business and a HOBBY Business out there - and programmers should listen to people like me - because I play in the real world not the "I wanna sell a tee shirt world" (not everybody I know) but I can really give good suggestions for OC because I'm in business a long time but I really feel I'm wasting my time (and it is my time) suggesting anything

Small rants yet again

First and foremost - Programmers are not dealing with real scenarios - they are imagined - this is a fact in my opinion - it is! end of ... for all programmers - LISTEN to what is being said to you
Brands are NOT - 1 product = 1 Manufacturer - this doesn't exist in the real world (quite the opposite) - Cars, Spare Parts, Accessories etc fit and are suitable to more than one brand for crying out loud!

Product counts as a feature ????? - DO YOU CARE HOW MANY PRODUCTS A SITE HAS WHEN YOU BROWSE? - I didn't think so! - GET RID OF IT ALTOGETHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - It slows a site down - nobody wants to visit a slow site!

Model DOESN'T = 1 MODEL - Model can be many thousands - in the English speaking world model in the context of OC model should read stock code and after that COMPATIBILTY should then be considered ie (in the context of OC) model should read STOCK CODE and then a seperate product field for searchable or filterable model info should be there

I KNOW there will be people JUST READY to say I DON'T NEED THAT ... BUT there are hell's minions who do - CONSIDER IT AT LEAST!!

Post by Iamdbat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:37 am

Johnathan wrote:I agree that there are a lot of developers who do not code or support their extensions well, and that an approval process of some sort would improve things. However, I think the idea of the OpenCart store is a come-one-come-all kind of store -- more like an Android marketplace than Apple's app store.

Probably the best thing to do at this point is to only buy extensions that have a number of positive comments, and from developers that respond to an inquiry within a reasonable amount of time.
I know that is far as OC has got - BUT in my humble opinion OC is doing what EVERYBODY ELSE DOES - It's a saturated idea and generic has had its day - OC - Get serious - do what the rest don't - program for the users - program to cater for real world scenarios - that's what is needed - for eg - I look at the extension offerings ... all of the participants compete in providing the same solution to the same problem - simply put one looks a little better than the other but DOESN'T do anything different or exceptional - TIME TO CHANGE - PROGRAMMERS - should embrace and DO - we the masses can't - so You the programmers SHOULD. Don't give us a rehash - GIVE US SOMETHING THAT CAN BE USED!!!!!! in a real world scenario or else STOP - really it's dragging OC down - REal World Programmers should realize that they don't know it all and listen to people who are willing to pay for what they want! provided of course that the delivery = the brief!

Post by rph » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:05 pm

I think you're making the mistake of believing all companies operate the same as yours. In reality ecommerce needs vary dramatically by industry.

I have extensive business programming experience and I'm sure I'm not the only one here (they tend to be easier to work with than individual entrepreneurs in my experience). OpenCart is essentially a framework. There's no way it could be all things to all people. You should view it as a beginning, not an end.

The Extension store comes down to how Daniel wants to run the business end. You can leave the store "open" and have more selection at a lower price or you can "close" it and have a lower selection at a higher price but with better quality. I think there can be a middle ground though. If a support ticket system was implemented it would allow metrics like number of support tickets per x sales or average time to resolve a ticket. That way you could systematically tell which mods are having lots of problems and which developers are deadbeats on support.
Last edited by rph on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by Iamdbat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:37 pm

rph wrote:I think you're making the mistake of believing all companies operate the same needs as yours. In reality ecommerce needs vary dramatically by industry.
No I'm not making that mistake at all - I think there are things that OC could improve upon .... and if you don't say it ... well .... :-\

Post by rph » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:49 pm

That's not very constructive. Improve how?

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by Iamdbat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:05 pm

rph wrote:That's not very constructive. Improve how?
Read the post Title! ;)

Post by Qphoria » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:10 pm

Iamdbat wrote: Read the post Title! ;)
"A Simple Rant" ?

Administrator

Post by Iamdbat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:16 pm

Qphoria wrote:
Iamdbat wrote: Read the post Title! ;)
"A Simple Rant" ?
Gets more complicated over a few beers I suppose ::) >:D

Using your vqmod manager at the moment - pretty excellent module - thank you