Post by mberlant » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:34 pm

Recently, two glaring omissions have been brought to light. They are similar to each other and need to be addressed in a future release of OpenCart.

It seems that up to now both Stock Status (as per this thread) and Manufacturer name (as per this thread) are only able to be rendered in one language, regardless of which available language a store visitor has chosen from the drop-down. We need to be able to define both Stock Status and Manufacturer in each and every available language. These labels cannot reasonably be shared between languages.

What do you all think?

p.s. This is my very first non-administrative OP.

Please use proper English at all times, so that all members may understand you.

Post by rph » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:49 pm

Stock status is already multi-lingual as stated in the thread you linked to. Manufacturers almost always go by one name internationally (e.g. Nintendo is Nintendo in Japan, North America, and Europe) though I suppose there could be issues between character and script-based writing.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by mberlant » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:50 pm

Hence, as discussed in that thread, it is not true that manufacturers go by one name worldwide.

Post by rph » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:23 pm

You discussed it but that didn't really prove anything. If you took the time to check out your own example you'd see Mitsubishi's localized Japanese, Russian, and Thai sites all display the company name in the Latin alphabet.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Post by mberlant » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:51 pm

That was the point of making the example. With today's behavior it is not possible to display the Manufacturer name in the language the visitor is working with.

Post by rph » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:02 am

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Post by mberlant » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:15 am

The fact is also that people who visit these web sites are savvy enough to find what they need, whereas the people who visit OpenCart stores are much more likely to only understand their own one language and are likely as not unable to read the Roman character transliteration of their own country's character set.

By the way, you'll never find Mitsubishi in the phone book if you spell it with Roman characters.

Post by joy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:19 pm

Take an example for the cosmetic brand Shiseido, it's called 資生堂. Even though the "logo" on all their products shows "Shiseido".
Or Clarins, it's called 克蘭詩, although the "logo" on all their products shows "Clarins" too.

I am not sure about other languages, but for Chinese and Japan, they always have the brand names in their own languages, and don't forget that Chinese language has two versions, one Simplified, and another is Traditional.

As I mentioned in another post earlier, I think this is great for the multilingual site.

OC version 1.5.1.3

joy