Post by CypherUK » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:32 pm

Hi All,

A request from me would be to have the ability to add additional fields under the usual product fields:

Brand: HTC
Product Code: Product 1
Reward Points: 0
Availability: In Stock

You could enter your own custom field tag/title and custom field contents so it would look something like:

Brand: HTC
Custom Title1: Custom1 contents here
Product Code: Product 1
Reward Points: 0
Custom Title2: Custom2 Contents here
Availability: In Stock

Would also be good to have the arranged via 'sort order' but not essential, just adding them after the last cart field would work too.

Could possibly limit the amount of custom fields to 5-10

The fields could be customised via the products 'data' tab in admin.

Not sure if this si something anyone else would like, but could be quite useful.

Thanks again to the developers for all their hard work!!

Mark

Location - Essex, United Kingdom

Post by nosecret » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:15 pm

How much field do you need? and What name of field do you need? I am have been successfully add some extra field in admin product form and displayed on front store like image below and I used to book store. Perhaps i can help you.
admin product form.jpg

admin product form.jpg (36.47 KiB) Viewed 8286 times

product page.jpg

product page.jpg (41.92 KiB) Viewed 8286 times

Post by Johnathan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:46 pm

The easiest way is probably to get Xsecrets' Product Extra Fields extension.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by thegeekz » Fri May 06, 2011 6:39 pm

nosecret wrote:How much field do you need? and What name of field do you need? I am have been successfully add some extra field in admin product form and displayed on front store like image below and I used to book store. Perhaps i can help you.
HI Nosecret

How did you do it?

I'm looking at adding 1 or 2 additional fields -- that is to be shown to the customer (product page).

Thank you.

Rgds

Faustine

No more using Apsona, as they are not updated.

• Every upgrade -- rem. 2 reinstall vqmod & mindful of modules w/ VQmod -- E.g Import / Export Tool by MHC

Post by tjonnyc » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:14 am

Nosecret,

Could you please explain how you added those product fields? It would be extremely helpful. Thank you!

Post by Daniel » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:51 am

what about product attributes in 1.5.0

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by thegeekz » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:55 am

hi Daniel,

Thanks for your attention to this..

I'm not sure if many of us are on the same page, but version 1.5.0 is good but still not as stable as yet.. to move over?

Also, there are still not a wide variety of themes to choose from, especially free or cheap ones... Some small businesses like us cannot afford to buy a too expensive theme..

But that aside, you have made a great improvement to the cart! But just like to see it more stable before moving over, possibly with an easy to use upgrade script. :)

No more using Apsona, as they are not updated.

• Every upgrade -- rem. 2 reinstall vqmod & mindful of modules w/ VQmod -- E.g Import / Export Tool by MHC

Post by tjonnyc » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:43 am

Well, I'm about to go and purchase a commercial extension for this, since no one seems to be able (or willing?) to help me out with making custom fields... hope it works as advertised.

Post by musa » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:24 pm

I'm newbie. For the last few days i searched for an extensions, most of them are commercial. After post something, it will take ages to get reply. Custom field for product should be core feature, i wonder why this didnt come with core. Strange!

=========================================================
codeTrio is specialized for
Enterprise E-Commerce Development
Web Application Development
Mobile Application Development
=========================================================

Post by Digger » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:34 am

Folks,
Here is a very untested quick fix, so make sure you back up and try this on a test installation first... it's actually not a very good solution at all, but may dig you out of a hole (or not).

What the user sees as "Brand" comes from what you set in Catalog/Products/Links - [Manufacturer Field], and what the user sees as "Product Code" comes from what you set in Catalog/Products/Data - [Model Field]. So, set these to whatever you need for each product and then we will change the description to something that matches like this:

Edit the file /catalog/language/english/product/product.php. You will find lines for
$_['text_manufacturer'] = 'Brand:';
$_['text_model'] = 'Product Code:';
You could change the words Brand and Product Code to whatever you want that matches the descriptions you are now putting in the old Manufacturer and Model Fields.

The real problem is that changing any source code can turn into a real headache during upgrade. The folks at OpenCart have given us a great product with numerous options, attributes etc. which is why I chose it above the other major players. Well done!, but I do agree that the Vendors do need some control on the actual product fields, at least to Category Level. "Manufacturer" does not make much sense when your Category is Books, but you do want to see "Author". Perhaps it's something to consider for the next release?

Post by yoursantu » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:07 am

Hi,
I added some custom fields to product via vqmod modification. And I want to make those fields searchable in front end. So how can make it search by custom fields? Can anyone please help!?

Post by IP_CAM » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:27 am

You got me curious, because I created a similar Extension, adding 3 more FIELDS to an existing 3-Field OpenCart v.1.5.6.x Product Page Add-on, a few days ago, so, I tested it, by use of the Mod listed below, and it worked on spot, finding my:
This is the Test Field Number 3 Search Field Entry.
on seemengly 740 Auto-Generated Test Products, 'equipped' with this Value, after I installed the VqMod ! :D

Better Search
- Changes “And” search query to “Or” in Product Title
- Requires a Minimum of 3 Characters
- Un-Pluralizes words
- Ex:
- Product Title: Bug B Gon
- User Searches: Bugs be Gone
- Queries for Titles with: “Bugs” OR “Bug” OR “Gone”
- Added Manufacturer Name Search to the standard search field
http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... n_id=17886

So, just try it out ! ;)
Good Luck
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland