Post by Calcite » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:51 am

OK, here goes for a dumb question :-[

Is it necessary to be in maintenance mode to do any work on the admin side?
I am guessing product work needs to be done in Maintenance mode but not sure if everything else has to be done in maintenance mode?

Post by victorj » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:04 am

The shop only goes in maintenace is when mods are made in the store and tested to make sure they work.

when editing or adding products, working on orders etc shop is open for sales

Koeltechnische deurrubbers eenvoudig online op maat bestellen.
Alle niet stekplichtige onderdelen zoals scharnieren, sloten, randverwarming en verlichting voor alle typen koelingen en vriezers.
https://koelcel-onderdelen.com

Expert Member

Location - Alkmaar Holland

Post by chulann » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:50 pm

no such thing as a dumb question - only dumb answers, which category the following probably falls into. But here goes anyway.
Use maintenance mode rarely. It wouldn't do to cut off a customer in the middle of placing an order.
Times to consider using maintenance are
1. If you discover a MAJOR bug,
2. You are going on holiday and hence cannot fullfil the orders placed.
3. Or when making changes to the structure of your databases or doing bulk changes on your products. At which time you should use maintenance while you use the export/import tool to download,modify and reupload the data. Naturally for as short a time as possible.
Changes to the programming should be done first on a duplicate test site, either on your host or on your local machine.
When satisfied, then upload the program changes to the live site, usually without using maintenance mode.
Changes to individual products should be done live without maintenance override.
Your own common sense should guide you as to how necessary maintenance mode is. Ideally you never have to use it. Hope this helps.

Post by labeshops » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:51 am

Maintenance mode has NOTHING to do with making changes via admin.

All maintenance mode does is disable the front end of your store - customers will see "We are sorry but the shop is currently closed for maintenance" or whatever the heck the message says and will not be able to view or shop on your store.

Unless you want to put your store offline to customers, do not turn it on in settings.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by Calcite » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:59 am

Thanks all.

@ labeshop, I'm redoing all my meta descriptions after reading your excellent post on this forum. Thank you for making it clear as I was not really clued up about them.

Post by labeshops » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:21 am

No problem. Glad I could help :)

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA