Post by coeus » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:49 am

Just wanted to say I like the simplicity of Open Cart and I hope the developers keep it simple. In comparison with Magento it has a lot less features, but that's a good thing imo. E-Commerce stores are different from one another and a lot of times some customization will be needed. Magento tries to do everything out-of-the-box which I think only gives you more problems, makes it slower, and hogs a lot of resources. I've seen several posts on the forums over there on people asking how to turn some feature off because they don't need it.

Open Cart looks great as sort of a framework / base to build your cart the way you want. Contributions from the community will help quicker turnarounds in putting up a site, but I hope the developers keep the base simple and don't overload it with too many features.

Great work guys

Post by Daniel » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:24 am

many thanks!

I have 2 possible paying clients one wants a b2b site and another wants multi shop. These would be good features to add to opencart allthough its going to add complexity.

I would say though the complexity with magento is because it is really coded badly. Ask any template developer. They have to alter lots of files to do simple bits. Its also extremly buggy because of the way they have coded everything.

remember keeping things simple is harder than writing complex code.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:56 am

On this topic.. is it considered "Bad practice" to just call
<?php echo $this->language->get('text_something'); ?>
directly from the template
instead of having to first create it in the controller, then reference that variable? Seems to always be the biggest pain to have to change controller just to display a simple text field

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:10 am

Qphoria wrote:On this topic.. is it considered "Bad practice" to just call
<?php echo $this->language->get('text_something'); ?>
instead of having to first create it in the controller, then reference that variable? Seems to always be the biggest pain to have to change controller just to display a simple text field
no not at all.

I just included everything in the controller to keep the templates cleaner.

Every layer such as model, view, controller, language adds more more time when creating an application but, in the long term it makes the code reusable and helps keep the coding cleaner as the applications grows.

I find coding applcations very quick with no multi language and including coding such request, sessions, models etc.. in the view.

If the application is small then there probably would be no need for the model.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:23 am

ALso look at:

http://www.phpro.org/tutorials/Model-Vi ... r-MVC.html

see that there are some similarities with opencart. The core classes are all very simple.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by coeus » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:59 am

Daniel, multi-shop / b2b sounds great but I would hope you would keep it separate as some sort of extension rather than including those kinds of features in the core. Again, I think the core is a great tool to build off of, but keeping the core clean, optimized, extend-able, etc, would be ideal. The one good thing about osCommerce was that their core was simple... granted their code is extremely antiquated and it is no longer useable, but I think it's early success had to do with it's simplicity. Open Cart seems to be done right from the get go. Good clean MVC and simple. As mentioned before, I think making this core better would be cleaning it up where ever cleaning is required, optimizing it, and making it extend-able so that if people want b2b they can grab a d/l from the contributions section.

Also, you're also right about Magento.. skinning it is extremely difficult. Even doing small things like adding a list of best sellers to your front page is not an easy task.

I do like some of the features mentioned in the roadmap, but I think it would be better if many of them were left in the contributions section rather than included in the core. A lot of small business would never use the multi-shop system, so it should be optional rather than included in the core.

I know it may be more difficult to code, but something where you can customize your shop would be best (like you customize the features you want in Jquery UI library before downloading the package).

Anyone else agree?