Post by bthirsk » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:22 pm

I was playing around to see what I could break in 7.9 5rc

In localization, language, I set the code to ca, which does not exist. The is no ca, only en.

If a client tried this, the database is corrupted to the point of being unrecoverable.
You can not simply replace the en because database access requires a valid language.
You can reload the database from admin, which is good.

My suggestion is the language files choice should be drop menus from files that are valid.
That would mean when installing a new language, all files would have to be installed first
before localization could be set to ensure valid settings.

What are your thoughts, or am I being paranoid.

Brent

Location - Canada

Post by hm2k » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:16 pm

I assume you're talking about: /admin/index.php?controller=language&action=insert

I'm sure that doing what you suggested would not corrupt the database, the worst it will do is add a new entry to a couple of tables.

But yes, there are some known issues with the languages and language codes, and english will be used as a fallback, so you can't really remove/change it otherwise the fallback won't exist.

The future plan is to use database driven languages rather than files, having said this we do intend on supporting both, just in case.

I'm not really too sure what to make of the issue you're describing, however it's something to consider.

UK Web Hosting

Global Moderator

Location - UK