Post by Tcreed » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:51 pm

Looking for some advise on getting my second language (Thai) crawled and indexed. I have separate urls for the category and product pages, the default language is English. So, on the home page I guess I need to include both languages for all content. But any recommendation on getting the Thai urls crawled? It seems google just goes through the links of the default language (English). It's like I need a separate site map for the thai? Any recommendations? Thanks.

Post by letxobnav » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:30 pm

The core problem with the current opencart implementation is that while bots do index multi-language url's, either via sitemaps or hreflang links, the content they receive is always in the default language and that includes the meta data.

So if I have English (default) and French, even if the bots index both the English and French url, when they request the French page via the French url, they receive that page in English (default ).

For normal customers, having no language indicator in the url is no problem, for bots, it is the only way to indicate which language they are requesting.
So multi-language bot-handling seems to have been an afterthought.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan