Post by Gohloum » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:54 pm

Hello,

I recently took over a running Opencart project that is currently 2.2.0.0. I come from a Ruby on Rails and mobile development background and PHP experience. Looking through the docs, I have a reasonable understanding of how the technology is setup in an MVC-L fashion. Nothing new here. The only thing I have not worked with is TWIG and Smarty (tpl).

The client will want me to develop a few custom extension for him. A few on the front end, but more for the back end for admin purposes and reports. Therefore, before I get my hands dirty, I am wondering if I should tackle upgrading to 3.x first or if 2.2.0.0 is stable and secure to keep online?

Poking around in the docs and Wiki, there seems to be more complete documentation on building extensions for the 2.x flavor. The wiki for 3.x is incomplete. Also I am aware that TWIG is deployed in 3.x where Smarty in 2.x. I'd rather not have to dive into 2 template languages, but I really don't know the pros and cons of each to the other.

Generally, with software, the newer versions address security risks that pop up over time. Are there any known risks or breaches in 2.2.0.0 that would warrant taking action on a 3.x upgrade immediately?

I could certainly use some advice on what makes the most sense - plan to stay in 2.x or move to 3.x before any custom work.

Thanks for any advice in advance....

TJ

Post by MarketInSG » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:36 pm

From my understanding, there isn't any known serious security flaws that will require you to upgrade your web store (unlike wordpress).

It's safe to stay on OpenCart 2, and if you don't like twig, you can opt to stay on OpenCart 2 too :)

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by thekrotek » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:32 pm

OC 3 has much less extensions available, lots of unresolved issues, including broken cache and might work slower. Basically OC 3 is OC 2.4, it is almost indistinguishable from OC 2.3, so no real reason to upgrade. You won't get any serious advantages, but may get some serious issues.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by Rainforest » Sun May 10, 2020 6:48 pm

I'm bringing this post back to life.
In 2020, is there any reason to upgrade a 2.3.0.2 store to OC 3.0.3.3?

Self Taught Opencart User & Developer Since 2010.

Post by Burt65 » Mon May 11, 2020 11:15 am

Rainforest wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:48 pm
In 2020, like in any other previous year, the real question still is: Do YOU have any REAL needs to upgrade? If your online shop is working fine, it has no issue and it does everything you need, why would you bother??

I never understood people logic in wanting to have the latest version number and then spending all the time in continually fixing issues instead of concentrating on what really matter, such as shop products content and customers sales..

I can understand upgrading if something is broken, not working properly or the extensions you need are not available or cannot be ported to your current version.. I mean, it is your time and your money, but at the end of the day, if you need to ask for "any reason" that obviously are not your reason, what the point?

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...

Location - Oz

Post by Rainforest » Sat May 16, 2020 7:22 pm

Burt65 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:15 am
Rainforest wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:48 pm
In 2020, like in any other previous year, the real question still is: Do YOU have any REAL needs to upgrade? If your online shop is working fine, it has no issue and it does everything you need, why would you bother??

I never understood people logic in wanting to have the latest version number and then spending all the time in continually fixing issues instead of concentrating on what really matter, such as shop products content and customers sales..

I can understand upgrading if something is broken, not working properly or the extensions you need are not available or cannot be ported to your current version.. I mean, it is your time and your money, but at the end of the day, if you need to ask for "any reason" that obviously are not your reason, what the point?
Thank you for your insight. I agree with you, if it works and your doing business without anything missing no need to upgrade. I was just wondering if there were any benefits (security, features) that would make it compelling. As a business owner, I'm always working on enhancing and future proofing my business. Also, as a IT/coding weekend warrior, I sometimes get caught up in wanting to upgrade, fix (or break), things because it's actually fun and rewarding.

I don't have any immediate plans to upgrade. I might play around with upgrading on a test server but I remember upgrading from 1.5.6 to 2.3.02 and how much 'fun' it was, haha. I'm in no rush.

Thank you for your insight!

Self Taught Opencart User & Developer Since 2010.

Post by Burt65 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:12 am

Rainforest wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:22 pm

Thank you for your insight. I agree with you, if it works and your doing business without anything missing no need to upgrade. I was just wondering if there were any benefits (security, features) that would make it compelling. As a business owner, I'm always working on enhancing and future proofing my business. Also, as a IT/coding weekend warrior, I sometimes get caught up in wanting to upgrade, fix (or break), things because it's actually fun and rewarding.

I don't have any immediate plans to upgrade. I might play around with upgrading on a test server but I remember upgrading from 1.5.6 to 2.3.02 and how much 'fun' it was, haha. I'm in no rush.

Thank you for your insight!
Opencart, since the beginning, it is always been "fairly tough" towards security issues, I mean as much if not more than most competition out there, to the point that shop still running on OC 1.5.6.x or pretty much any other versions, still don't have any major issues.

However, feature wise is a bit of a mix bag, but as previously mentioned, the extensions really are what makes your OC working as you intended. So if your extensions requirement are meet by your current OC version, and unless, just like you eloquently stated above, having fun and find rewards in upgrading unnecessarily ;) is a priority, the old saying, "if it works, don't touch it", it's the best advice I can give, for both financial, and mental stability..

I do understand very well what you mean, as like you, at one point or another got the "I need the latest" bug syndrome.
Is the society we live in, that does this to us, and it is across the entire border, not just software..

I'm happy to hear that you too, had fun upgrading from 1.5.6 to 2.3.0.2.. ;D

Personally, I'm glad those days are over.

Truth is that, with any of the Opencart release, and thanks to the large support both here and in the Marketplace, we have all been given an excellent opportunity to run a successful online store!

So, pick a version based on your extension's needs, learn the ropes, customise it, fine tuning it, add your personal touches and be successful.

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...

Location - Oz