Post by lukeketchum1 » Thu May 17, 2018 9:29 pm

Hey guys, I'm looking for a search extension that pops up a box as people are searching

My description is rubbish, but I have a good example for you, chaoscards.co.uk - if you type a search phrase it suggests products etc and allows you to filter with all the stuff on the left side, does such an addon exist for opencart and can you recommend one? My site doesn't exist yet, but I will ensure to use the latest opencart version. It seems they utilise something called doofinder, doofinder.com I would love to find the nearest opencart equivalent.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Luke

Post by Johnathan » Thu May 17, 2018 11:43 pm

For the search dropdown, that's usually called a "live search" or "ajax search". You can find extensions on the marketplace with that phrase here:

https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... ive+search

My Smart Search extension does that, as well as improves the search functionality so it searches better (and searches for misspelled variations of the search phrase entered). There are other free ones as well if you're not looking for a commercial one, like the one xxvirusxx posted, though those are generally just the live search, and don't include any search algorithm improvements.

For the filtering on chaoscards.co.uk on the left-hand side, you'll need a separate filtering module for that. I have a Filter by Attribute Module and Ultimate Filters Module extension that can do that, and will work on the search page, and work with Smart Search. If you use a different filter module, it probably won't integrate with a search improvement mod unless they're from the same developer, so keep that in mind if you plan on getting both types of extensions.

Feel free to take a look at the screenshots and demo site, and if you're interested let me know at www.getclearthinking.com/contact if you have any further questions.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator

Post by lukeketchum1 » Sat May 19, 2018 2:14 am

Thanks for your replies guys I'll check these out.