Post by lovol3 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:46 am

Hi All

So, if you try to follow GDPR to the letter, you must know exactly what data is where, who you send it to, how long you keep it, and inform the users.

Having scanned the tables, found over 900 data fields, of which 53 are PII data (e.g. IP address), it turns out, OpenCart stores a lot of data that you probably don't know.

I didn't know it stored every search in your search bar, AND the IP address of the person doing it.

I can't think of a real reason for keeping or having this search IP address stored (see table/field customer_search_ip), can you?

Post by OSWorX » Thu May 17, 2018 5:43 am

lovol3 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:46 am
Hi All

So, if you try to follow GDPR to the letter, you must know exactly what data is where, who you send it to, how long you keep it, and inform the users.
Correct.
lovol3 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:46 am
Having scanned the tables, found over 900 data fields, of which 53 are PII data (e.g. IP address), it turns out, OpenCart stores a lot of data that you probably don't know.

I didn't know it stored every search in your search bar, AND the IP address of the person doing it.

I can't think of a real reason for keeping or having this search IP address stored (see table/field customer_search_ip), can you?
And what is your problem?
I know (and many other too) what is stored and where .. and why.

Expert Member

Location - Austria

Post by thekrotek » Thu May 17, 2018 5:57 am

This is exactly why I said, that instead of trying to comply site owners should tell GDPR to shag off and demand to cancel this stupid law. Guess what? Nobody listened and rushed to comply. Even despite that everybody out there understands, that such laws have ZERO relation to any kind of user safety. They invented a cookie law? Cool! Everybody just installed I Don't Care About Cookies browser extension and lived happily ever after. Same will happen to new version of Cookie Law, but this time site owners will pay more to comply.

To the slave world! Full speed ahead, yay!

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Post by OSWorX » Thu May 17, 2018 6:41 am

thekrotek wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:57 am
This is exactly why I said, that instead of trying to comply site owners should tell GDPR to shag off and demand to cancel this stupid law. Guess what? Nobody listened and rushed to comply. Even despite that everybody out there understands, that such laws have ZERO relation to any kind of user safety. They invented a cookie law? Cool! Everybody just installed I Don't Care About Cookies browser extension and lived happily ever after. Same will happen to new version of Cookie Law, but this time site owners will pay more to comply.

To the slave world! Full speed ahead, yay!
You can go to the EC and sue them.

But I cannot understand your sight of view - sorry!
What do you see stupid - explain that.
Why have such laws no relation to any user safety?

You are talking about a 'Cookie Law'.
Where is that Law??
There was only the obligation 4 years ago, to inform the site visitor that cookies are used.
Great Britain made a Law on it to display that stupid banner now nearly 99% of all website are showing.
But the stupid are those website owners, nobody told them to do so.

But fact is, if you sell in a country out side of yours, these Laws are important: have you heard from 'Customer / Consumer Rights'?
And that exactly is what the GDPR is talking about.

But because you like thoes cookie banners so much: wait until next year when the new ePrivacy Regulation become active.
Then - and only then - you may cry.
In the meantime - follow the GDPR if you dont want to loose money.

Expert Member

Location - Austria