Post by Mary Bonney » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:22 pm

I am working on the website for new cafe and we are thinking of adding the ability to order food for collection. In these circumstances, there is clearly no shipping, delivery, etc. People would just order a meal, pay for it, and then collect it later.

Does OpenCart have the ability to remove all shipping instructions and addresses (including from credit card payments). There are many e-commerce systems around and I don't want to install and configure each one to see whether this is possible. So it would be handy if someone could say Yes or No before downloading OpenCart.

Post by Johnathan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:47 am

You can mark products as "Requires Shipping: No", and that will then skip the shipping address and shipping method steps of checkout. However, if you want to both offer delivery and offer pickup, there's no way to split a single product into two types. You'd either need to duplicate all your products, or have someone create a custom modification that will skip the shipping steps when someone chooses that option during checkout.

One idea would be to use a multi-store installation, and use one store for delivery and one store for pickup. Then, you could duplicate your products, and mark all the ones for the delivery store as "Requires Shipping: Yes" and all the ones for the pickup store as "Requires Shipping: No". Customers would then choose the store before starting their order, and it would lead them through the appropriate steps at checkout.

There might also be extensions that help you do this, though I haven't seen any that I can remember. You can check out the opencart.com marketplace, and if you can't find anything there, you could consider hiring someone to do a custom modification for you. If you need to find a developer, you should post a request in the OpenCart "Commercial Support" forum, which is checked by a number of OpenCart developers. You can also try checking out the OpenCart "Partners" area.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator

Post by Mary Bonney » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:38 am

Thanks. I'll install OpenCart and have a look.