Post by jorrit » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:34 pm

A complain about Opencart 3.0, for what's its worth. I don't see my customers adjusting a template via the twig editor, on the other side, making adjustments requires extra knowlegde of the twig syntax/features. What's the point of adding a TWIG template engine above the good old plain PHP?
Right now I find this layer of extra complexity is annoying.

Post by IP_CAM » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:49 pm

Well, if you don't like TWIG, why then using a Version, containing it ? ::)
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by thekrotek » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:49 pm

Nobody liked Twig from the start, all developers complained about it. It's an absolutely useless thing and, of course, a layer of extra complexity. This is one of the reasons why most people stay on OC 2.0 and OC 3.0 is massively disliked.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by IP_CAM » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:35 am

Well, this may be the case, but TWIG is supposed to open up OC to new
ways of building platform-independent Stuff, and this may be the way
to the OC-Future, as it looks. Still, like it or not, it's gonna stay, at least in V.3 ! ;)

It's like OcMod in the beginning, but everyone got used to it, after a while.
But it would have been better, to let Users use PHP-based and TWIG-based Code,
It would have made OC much more flexible, instead of turning to an entirely new and
for most still fully unknown way of coding Themes.

Apart from the amount of additional Code, obviously required, to make
it work in OC. But unfortunately, the 'Twig - Template Engine for Opencart 1.5.x'
once placed in the Extension Section, does no longer function, since TWIG
upgraded meanwhile it's own Versions as few times. And so, I was
never able to test it, because, strictly codewise, it looks real simple, as Code:
Twig - Template Engine for Opencart free, OC v.1.5.5.1 -1.5.6.4:
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=19741
and Mister Kauser cannot be found anymore anywhere, to be of Service :-\

But in a year or so, when OC v.4.1.2.3 hits the Forever-OC-Upgrader-Scene,
nobody is gonna complain about TWIG anymore, I bet :D It's just the Scene,
what changes, when those, familiar with it, have established themselfs in the
OC Market, and some of the others just faded away...

The real Problem seems to be the lacking Information, when it comes to this Place.
But who would be able, and/or willing, to invest all this time, without getting something
in return?! It's just not the time anymore, to be splendid, in an closing-in environment, more
and more confronted with Competition, whereever one looks.

It's about Winners and Loosers, and OC makes no Winners out of Loosers, regardless of
the Technology used. And as more 'integrated' something get's, as less 'space' it leaves for
those, unaware of what they're doing.

But nobody is forced to anything. That's the good thing about it!
Good Luck ;)
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by thekrotek » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:54 am

OCMod is a quite bad example. It's just a slightly weaker version of VQMod with static cache instead of dynamic. It wasn't too hard to get into it and the main drawback is that you have to always refresh modification's cache to see the changes.

Twig, on the other hand, is a new language. Some kind of castrated version of PHP for retarded theme-makers, who can't learn PHP itself. For developers is nothing but a new pain, for OC theme makers - the same, because they already learned PHP. So actually is a pain FOR EVERYONE.

And no, I doubt people will get used to it. I think Daniel will either remove it or make it optional, if he doesn't want to loose his clientele. People are leaving OC, if you didn't notice. Me, for example, I don't plan to update my extensions to OC 3.0 right now. Looking for a new platform to prosper.

Expert Member

Post by Johnathan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:52 am

Daniel added twig so that people using the new OpenCart cloud could still modify their template files, since they don't have access to the actual server. There may have been other ways to do that, but he chose twig. Personally I dislike it since it makes it difficult to maintain a single version of code for multiple OpenCart versions, but I understand his reasons.

People can always stay on OpenCart 2 if they want, there's really no reason you MUST update to OpenCart 3. If people really don't like twig I recommend they just stay on OpenCart 2, since extensions should continue to be developed for that version line for the foreseeable future.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by thekrotek » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:15 am

Johnathan wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:52 am
Daniel added twig so that people using the new OpenCart cloud could still modify their template files, since they don't have access to the actual server. There may have been other ways to do that, but he chose twig. Personally I dislike it since it makes it difficult to maintain a single version of code for multiple OpenCart versions, but I understand his reasons.
He may have any reasons he want, but nobody forced him to completely switch to Twig. There're certain rules for extensions, which want to be in OC Cloud. Why Twig is just not one of them? If you want to use cloud - switch to Twig, if you don't - use good old PHP. I don't want do be in the cloud, like many, many other developers, so I don't give two shits about Twig.

So no, definitely not Daniel's reason's fault, but his never ending disrespect to developers instead, nothing else. He never ever cared what developers think and always considered them as nuisance. This is the only reason we now have this atrocity called OC 3.0 and a bunch of good developers leaving the scene, because they're tired of constant changes and lack of any backward compatibility.

I think, OC 3.0 is some kind of cornerstone: things either get ugly from here or Daniel will change his attitude to developers and start to listen. The third option, which Ernie mentioned above, was already used in OC 2.0. Won't happen again. We all just tired of all this crap.

Expert Member