Post by ErikOC2 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:02 pm

I am using OpenCart version 2.0.3.1 for my webshop. I am not a developer or otherwise familiar with the code of OpenCart, so therefore I would like to put my problem forward in this Forum to see if anyone can help.
3 languages are installed for my webshop. The content, the keywords. -titles and -descriptions (backend) are all applied in these 3 languages. When I went live, I noticed (after some time) that my shop could only be found using terms from the content or the keywords in the language that was chosen as the frontend language. None of the keywords -even combined with the name of my webshop- in the 2 other languages could be found. They seemed to be totally blocked. As soon as I changed the frontend language, my webshop could be found in this new language.
What is the problem? I thought that the possibility of multi-language use (fully applied in the backend) would automatically mean that search engines would pick up content and keywords etc.. in all languages.
Or is it necessary to have 3 sitemaps in 3 languages, in order to make it work? How can I get rid of this blockage?
Thanks in advance.

Post by psxgamer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:52 am

Have been struggling with this problem for ages myself. Problem is in the front end you can change the language but the URL stays the same. Each language should have its own URL.

www.yourwebsite.com/product-1
www.yourwebsite.com/fr/product-1
www.yourwebsite.com/it/product-1

You can fix it by using an SEO extention. Problem is even the most popular SEO extentions hardly have any support for multilangual websites.

Post by frank79 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:21 am

You have to work with the file seo_url.php (and maybe also with the .htaccess). Google will correctly index only one language of the site, since the other languages have the same url. You can do as suggested by psxgamer or use subdomains like en.mystore.com and build a multi store (the domain will still be mystore.com), each store will have its own language.