Post by coolshop » Sun May 14, 2017 2:15 am

We're way back on 1.5.3.1.

If I download and install the latest version of Opencart in a separate folder on our server, can I be confident that the install process will not touch any current functions, and won't overlay or affect any of our current database tables?

Any advice for upgrading from 1.5.3.1 to current?

Post by IP_CAM » Sun May 14, 2017 2:29 am

well, you could install 100 OC Versions, and use them on the same URL,
you could even 'share' your images, and one would not even 'know', that another
Shop exists.

But you better forget, to UPGRADE something, not planned, or ready, to be
upgraded to another type of Version, in the first place, without leaving a lot of
SURPLUS CRAB on your Server.
You could use some Tools, to REWORK your DB, to match the latest OC-2, but that's all,
you are able to further use, anything else will no longer be functional, down to the Mod's
and Themes.

There are some Services, and you will find them in the Extension Section, to get your
DB (Copy!!) to match, but never play around with the active DB, you now use,
or within the active Shop-Directory, or you risk, to loose, what now still works...
Good Luck!
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by coolshop » Sun May 14, 2017 3:16 am

Hi Ernie

Thank you for responding. Not sure I fully understand your response.

I do understand that by moving to the latest version, really it's starting from scratch. Yes, I'd like to be able to import our current products, customers, orders, etc, into the new system and would need to find tools or developers to create such an import.

What I mainly want to know right now is to be sure that when I install the new version, that it will create a completely separate and new database and structure in MySQL and that our current databases and tables used by 1.5.3.1 will not be touched or affected....
Last edited by coolshop on Sun May 14, 2017 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by thekrotek » Sun May 14, 2017 3:18 am

IP_CAM wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 2:29 am
SURPLUS CRAB on your Server.
Mmm... surplus crab. Yummy! Gotta look on my server for some!

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by thekrotek » Sun May 14, 2017 3:19 am

coolshop wrote:
Sun May 14, 2017 3:16 am
What I mainly want to know right now is to be sure that when I install the new version, that it will create a completely separate and new database and structure in MySQL and that our current databases and tables used by 1.5.3.1 will not be touched or affected....
You can simply ask a professional to do this for you. If you're interested, I could do this without loosing any of your precious data. Drop me an email to support@thekrotek.com, if interested.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by coolshop » Sun May 14, 2017 4:24 am

I installed, no problem. Thanks

Post by IP_CAM » Sun May 14, 2017 4:51 am

And just, to round this up:
There would be not one good reason, to build new Systems, if they would function
like their Versions before, other than because of securitiy reasons. And one cannot
use an XP- Source File or Source-DATA in a VISTA, or anything else, this should be known,
by most anyone, playing around with Windows for longer than 2 Versions.

Also because of newer Versions PHP, some 'internal doings' can be made different, faster, newer :laugh: !,
whatever, and Things like TWIG probably lead to also change the Archidecture, so, some Files and Subs
are moved into other/new Directories.
By a simple Example, an image is no longer placed in image/data/... , but in image/catalog/...

And when it comes to the DB, all this, and more, has to be taken into consideration, so,
by example, new or renamed 'variables/names/links/paths' have to be set, to make older DB Content usable,
when 'importing' such DB Data into V-2 Versions.

I hope, it helps, to understand it better... :D
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland