Post by CartIdeas » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:09 pm

I am an extension seller. I have an extension which costs 12 USD. I tried to upload new version of the extension in Opencart Marketplace, but it does not allow me and shows error message 'Price must be 20.00 USD or more!'. Never noticed this issue before

Has Opencart stated imposing minimum price for selling extensions?

Post by Johnathan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:59 pm

Yes, this change happened this last week. (The minimum used to be $10 USD.) Daniel hasn't commented on it at all, so no one knows if it's a permanent thing, or if he'll change his mind based on feedback. $20 does seem like a lot for some of the tiny mods out there, and the general consensus seems among developers seems to be that it's too high.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by thekrotek » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:58 pm

I personally like the changes, because there're lots of underrated extensions on the market. Sometimes you put a hard work into certain extension, but put a minimum price on it, because some clown sells the similar extension for 10 bucks. Buyers look at the price first and no matter, how perfectly coded your extension is and how many features it has, people often choose cheaper stuff.

In short, it's OK to sell for 20 as a minimum price, but not for 10. Don't forget, that you also pay a pretty good commission and it's at least 15 bucks for you, if not less.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by OpenCart Addons » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:19 am

After speaking with Daniel the reason for the increase was due to him losing money on $10.00 extension sales because of transaction charges and developers at 25% commission.

$20.00 USD is a steep price for small modifications. Increasing the minimum to $15.00 might be more reasonable for smaller mods.

Cheers,
Joel.

Canada's Leading Expert In OpenCart Development & Certified OpenCart Development Partner Image

Location - Canada

Post by CartIdeas » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:57 pm

I agree to the motive behind setting minimum price. But this should be applicable to all. Now I am forced to sell it for USD 20 because I have to release new version or just change the description. But the people who were already selling similar extension for less than 20 USD will gain the advantage of this when they don't change anything. They can still continue selling for $10 and make better sales

Post by thekrotek » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:41 pm

OpenCart Addons wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:19 am
$20.00 USD is a steep price for small modifications.
Small modifications should be free! :-)

Expert Member

Post by OpenCart Addons » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:53 pm

thekrotek wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:41 pm
OpenCart Addons wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:19 am
$20.00 USD is a steep price for small modifications.
Small modifications should be free! :-)
I don't mean an extension that makes one tiny change. I mean mods that are not a full extension and don't warrant the same price point of a full system.

Joel.

Canada's Leading Expert In OpenCart Development & Certified OpenCart Development Partner Image

Location - Canada

Post by thekrotek » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:19 pm

OpenCart Addons wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:53 pm
I don't mean an extension that makes one tiny change. I mean mods that are not a full extension and don't warrant the same price point of a full system.
Well, it's either underrated complex mods or overpriced simple mods. I choose second option, because I'm a bit tired of the first one already, to be honest.

Expert Member

Post by Johnathan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:29 pm

CartIdeas wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:57 pm
I agree to the motive behind setting minimum price. But this should be applicable to all. Now I am forced to sell it for USD 20 because I have to release new version or just change the description. But the people who were already selling similar extension for less than 20 USD will gain the advantage of this when they don't change anything. They can still continue selling for $10 and make better sales
This is a good point. If $20 is the new minimum price, Daniel should run a database query to update all extension prices that are between $10.00 and $19.99 to $20, to prevent this issue.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by CartIdeas » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:03 pm

Johnathan wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:29 pm
Daniel should run a database query to update all extension prices that are between $10.00 and $19.99 to $20, to prevent this issue.
Exacty! That is what I had in my mind too. Hope Daniel listens to this

Post by OpenCart Addons » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Johnathan wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:29 pm
CartIdeas wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:57 pm
This is a good point. If $20 is the new minimum price, Daniel should run a database query to update all extension prices that are between $10.00 and $19.99 to $20, to prevent this issue.
Daniel is going to run a DB query tonight to update all extensions that are currently listed at less than the minimum price.

Location - Canada

Post by OpenCart Addons » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:48 pm

Marketplace is updated so all extensions now conform to the new minimum price.

Cheers,
Joel.

Location - Canada

Post by ashwani_multi » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:27 am

It's great can you get update 2 point more

1. About rating when it's will recover
2. About sale live counting

Thank you

Opencart Quick checkout
View All modules
Any opencart issue contact me at support@opencartextensions.in

Thank you

Location - Ludhiana,Punjab,India

Post by OpenCart Addons » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:18 am

Daniel's busy with OpenCart v3.0 and the cloud launch at the moment. Once they're launched he's planning to update the marketplace.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers,
Joel.

Location - Canada

Post by xseon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:20 pm

That minimum is too high now. I say that comparing my sales now and before. I am sure Daniel loses money now. On my opinion the Marketplace makes only 10% of the sales made before the change.
The argument for the charges he pays looks to me a bit weird. When I get my payments, the amount is always less then what I have to be paid and there is no fee to PayPal deducted from my account. I believe I've been sent an amount decreased with the charges Daniel would pay to send it to me. So, what exactly charges do you mean, how does Daniel loses money about them?

Deeper and Better Category Module
Mass Product Price Change

Location - Bulgaria

Post by artcore » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:30 pm

There is a 2% paypal fee deducted from the wire. So most get 50% - that fee, while some are on 70% I believe.
Also I don't think there is drop in sales, just compare the orderid increments from before the changes

Attn: I no longer provide OpenCart extensions, nor future support - this includes forum posts.
Reason: OpenCart version 3+ ;D

Thanks!

Location - The Netherlands

Post by stalker780 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:45 pm

I had no sales this month... Not sure if I will have any in the future now.
Cause I have small mods and 20USD is too expensive for them, but keep them up to date and support their installation (from time to time) for free is not reasonable too. This is a dilemma...

Location - Ukraine

Post by imakeitwork » Tue May 02, 2017 5:26 pm

stalker780 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:45 pm
Cause I have small mods and 20USD is too expensive for them, but keep them up to date and support their installation (from time to time) for free is not reasonable too. This is a dilemma...
I thought that most of my extensions will not sell too because of the new minimum price. And actually some of them had 0 sales last month, some of them jumped up with the sales. So for me the results are mixed, but OK.

One thing for sure - OpenCart extension store monthly sales are the same like Google search ranking/results - you'll never know when and how one day the income/results will change, so an independent backup plan is a must.

Post by thekrotek » Tue May 02, 2017 5:33 pm

stalker780 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:45 pm
Don't worry, such things always happen, when you increase the price. Have some patience, sales will return.

Expert Member

Post by rgbworld » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:33 pm

A $20 minimum is too much money for some mods. I am a new extension developer, and being forced to charge $20 (paying a 50% commission). IMO it seems like highway-robbery on both ends. I hope Daniel reviews this decision when he has time.

Are developers allowed to charge less money if ordered directly from their own store? I would think it best if price was consistent so customers will purchase from OpenCart Marketplace and Daniel will get commission, but is it technically against terms?

I think $15 would be better. That way a new developer could still make $7.50 until their commission lowers.

RGB World - FREE and Commercial Extensions
For custom work or support, please use our Contact Form or visit our Support Forum.

Favorite Quote: There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't. 8)