Post by dmsims » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:02 am

@Daniel

are you for real?

you roll out this piece of utter crap and then start name calling (but then what did we expect?)

Your incompetence is staggering

If you worked for me you would be fired!

Post by imakeitwork » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:08 pm

budgetneon wrote:I take it the issue of downloaded ocmod files not being installable without the end user renaming the file isn't going to be fixed...ever?

Would the opencart team at least consider putting some text around the download button that explains to end users that they'll need to rename the file?
I somehow don't see this being an issue at all (except that users need to search for strange named zip files in their download folder).

I think every extension should include some sort of instructions/documentation in the package. So you would have extension file/folder in the package and instruction files. It would be useful for customer, useful for you (less questions, and you could add more info about your other work/services), and it would not matter how the .zip is named - customer would find file.ocmod.zip in the package anyway.

Post by cyclops12 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:36 am

imakeitwork wrote:
budgetneon wrote:I take it the issue of downloaded ocmod files not being installable without the end user renaming the file isn't going to be fixed...ever?

Would the opencart team at least consider putting some text around the download button that explains to end users that they'll need to rename the file?
I somehow don't see this being an issue at all (except that users need to search for strange named zip files in their download folder).

I think every extension should include some sort of instructions/documentation in the package. So you would have extension file/folder in the package and instruction files. It would be useful for customer, useful for you (less questions, and you could add more info about your other work/services), and it would not matter how the .zip is named - customer would find file.ocmod.zip in the package anyway.
I think your missing the point.........."if you include instructions in your own package"
You still have to open every downloaded zip file to find the instructions, as they are all "numbered" instead of being "named"

How do you know which downloaded file is which without renaming them if they are all just "numbers.zip"??

Expert Member

Post by Daniel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:29 am

dmsims wrote:@Daniel

are you for real?

you roll out this piece of utter crap and then start name calling (but then what did we expect?)

Your incompetence is staggering

If you worked for me you would be fired!
and banned!

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:52 am

old comments are back.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:20 am

Can you fix it so that you don't need a license length when submitting mods for update? Not all developers limit to 1 - 12 months. Would be nice if the Browse next to files to upload wasn't disabled either by default, making people delete and re-make a download for each update

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by Daniel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:42 am

Just noticed some of the foreign characters are messed up. Don't worry i can fix it. I just need to redownload the extension comments file.

I think need to do it tomorrow.

as for the re-uploading of each extension when you change things.

This is required for the cloud. I need to approve the extension download before its allowed to be on the cloud stores. If people can change the file after its been approved its going to cause issues.

As for the license length, I can do this. Maybe do it tomorrow also.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by zengrafic » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:54 am

Daniel wrote:old comments are back.
Great Thanks. Can you sort them DESC by date (recent comments first) instead of ASC by date + adding a delete button like before?

Location - Earth

Post by Tomit » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:46 pm

Don't get discouraged by all the negative comments Daniel, people never like change.
But I don't think banning people for their opinion is the best way to deal with them.

Location - Netherlands

Post by Tomit » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:48 pm

One More thing Daniel, can you sort the comments Descending? now it looks like the latest comment is 4 years ago, people won't bother going to page 24 to see the latest comments..

You could also import these comments into disqus bat that's another story (and I guess no one liked moving to disqus). If you wan't more info on that send me a pm

Location - Netherlands

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:32 pm

Daniel wrote:as for the re-uploading of each extension when you change things. This is required for the cloud. I need to approve the extension download before its allowed to be on the cloud stores. If people can change the file after its been approved its going to cause issues.
So every bug fix means I need to delete a download and re-upload selecting all of the version values again?? That's going to get really annoying really quickly. I appreciate some developers would require validations but most of us that have been doing this for years could do with some sort of auto approved version/allowed to upload over existing ones. If not, some sort of 'duplicate download' option on the extension editor, where it copies the download info via javascript to allow us to add the new upload and not have to fill it all out again

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by Daniel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:35 pm

ok restored comments with utf8 double encoded characters. comments are now descending. also added the unlimited license option.

I'll push the changes in a bit.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by Johnathan » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:56 pm

Thanks for the comments change. While we have you here, Daniel, can you answer a question for me:

Does a license limitation (e.g. 12 months) actually limit the download for the extension to that time? So someone can't download it after 12 months? Or is it just a note about support, and doesn't have any impact on the download?

I know we've talked about this before, but I'm hoping it's the former, so developers can place license limitations on their extensions. If that's not how it works at this point, are you still planning on implementing it?

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by Daniel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:32 am

the license allows people to access all downloads before the license expires. once the license expires they can still download the same downloads they had access to before but can not download any new versions unless they buy a new license.

also there is a load of features that are complete but not had time to test properly such as coupon codes, and promotional system.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by thekrotek » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:49 am

Daniel wrote:the license allows people to access all downloads before the license expires. once the license expires they can still download the same downloads they had access to before but can not download any new versions unless they buy a new license.
And how does it check for version? I, for example, don't keep older versions and always delete the previous ones. So all my extensions always have one download available and it's always the latest version.

Usually, when license is expired, people don't have access to ANY downloads or support at all. In this case it doesn't matter, whether you keep old versions or not. Yet with your current algorithm we have to always keep ALL uploaded versions. At least, this is how I understood it.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by Qphoria » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:02 am

zengrafic wrote:
Daniel wrote:old comments are back.
Great Thanks. Can you sort them DESC by date (recent comments first) instead of ASC by date + adding a delete button like before?
Really? People like this? No other venue does this. Forums, tech blogs, etc all have new at the bottom. Be nice if it was user preference

Administrator

Post by Johnathan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:03 am

Daniel wrote:the license allows people to access all downloads before the license expires. once the license expires they can still download the same downloads they had access to before but can not download any new versions unless they buy a new license.

also there is a load of features that are complete but not had time to test properly such as coupon codes, and promotional system.
Awesome, thank you!
thekrotek wrote:Usually, when license is expired, people don't have access to ANY downloads or support at all. In this case it doesn't matter, whether you keep old versions or not. Yet with your current algorithm we have to always keep ALL uploaded versions. At least, this is how I understood it.
My understanding is that the site database keeps track of old downloads, so you don't need to keep them active in the actual extension. The download the customer purchases is passed to their account, and they can then access it after the license period expires, even if you remove it from the extension. That would be why each download needs to be added as a new one, and "approved" as Daniel mentioned before. Is that right, Daniel?

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by thekrotek » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:11 am

Qphoria wrote:
zengrafic wrote:Really? People like this? No other venue does this. Forums, tech blogs, etc all have new at the bottom. Be nice if it was user preference
Comments for software are not actual comments. It's actually a review section or at least it should be. So it's not Facebook-like comments, which indeed are sorted ASC. Reviews are normally sorted DESC - from newest to oldest. Other way of sorting is pretty weird.

Yet a front-end option for sorting them would be good.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by imakeitwork » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:56 am

One more issue I noticed today (it was ok in previous weeks):

Every image in the extension page description (frontend) is shown in a new line - even if you leave it in the same line with text. That's a bit annoying. I believe it's because every image in description now has class of .img-responsive which is displayed as block.

It would be nice to have some control for that. Or at least to Align >> Left / Center / Right in the WYSIWYG editor.

Post by budgetneon » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:51 am

imakeitwork wrote:I somehow don't see this being an issue at all (except that users need to search for strange named zip files in their download folder).
I would recommend you check the experience of adding extensions in other software. Things like wordpress, prestashop, and so on. They are much easier on end users.

The easier you make the process, the more popular and well used your extension marketplace will be. It just seems a shame to go backwards in this regard. Opencart was already lagging behind in this department (default extension installation requires enabling FTP???), these recent changes have it falling further behind.

That's OpenCart's prerogative, of course, but it seems unwise to me.